Seniors vs Kilcummin - Co.League - 11/05/13

posted 11 May 2013, 15:21 by Laune Rangers
Senior County League – Saturday 11th May 2013

Laune Rangers: 0-08

Kilcummin: 1-12

Laune Rangers hosted Kilcummin in the J.P. O’Sullivan Park on Saturday evening last in round 4 of the County League.

A valuable two points were up-for-grabs with Kilcummin in search of their first win of the season to take them off the bottom spot while Laune Rangers were hoping to secure the two points to move themselves further away from the danger zone.

It was to be the visitors who would run out victorious in the end. A strong second half performance from the visitors, in particular a Kieran Murphy goal helping Kilcummin to their first win of the season.

The first half was a tit-for-tat battle with the sides level at the short whistle. An opening score from Kilcummin’s Ian Devane in the 5th minute was cancelled out by a Pa Joy effort in the 7th minute of the half. Joy had the goal in his sights and perhaps could have found the net however settled for a point. Kilcummin responded through corner forward D.J. Fleming to put the visitors back in front with 8 minutes of the opening half played.

Laune Rangers went on to score three points in the minutes that followed. The pick of these being a Maurice Foley effort, again perhaps when the goal was at his mercy, to give the home side the advantage, 0-04 to 0-02 with 13 minutes on the clock.

Again Kilcummin responded this time through Jer Sheehan who split the posts with his first effort and followed this up with a pointed free quickly after to level the game at 0-04 a piece with 12 minutes of the opening half to play.

The sides swapped points in the minutes that followed with Shane McSweeney adding two well taken points for Rangers and Kieran Murphy and Ian Devane pointing for the visitors and the game was level at 0-06 each with under 5 minutes of the first half remaining.

Final points from Shane McSweeney (Rangers) and Kieran Murphy (Kilcummin) saw the game level at the short whistle, Laune Rangers 0-07 to 0-07 Kilcummin.

Kilcummin found another gear in the second half and dominated the half. Laune Rangers did have a number of scoring chances but failed to convert same something they would rue at the final whistle.

Kilcummin’s Shane McSweeney got the opening score of the second half in the 9th minute to give Kilcummin the lead, a lead they were never to relinquish there after. Full forward, Kieran Murphy added to his tally with a well taken effort in the 12th minute to give Kilcummin a two point advantage, 0-09 to 0-07.

Laune Rangers’ only score of the half came from a Kevin Flynn free in the 14th minute to close Kilcummin’s lead to a point. Kilcummin had a goal chance in the 16th minute when midfielder Kevin Gorman sent a lovely ball into the forward line deceiving the Rangers’ defence and leaving Ian Devane one-on-one with Tony Lyons in the Rangers’ goal. Lyons pulled off a fine save, keeping Laune Rangers in the game.

However, Kilcummin continued to push forward and a further point from McSweeney in the 18th minute gave Kilcummin a two point cushion, 0-10 to 0-08. Kieran Murphy made no mistake in the 23rd minute, finding the back of the Laune Rangers’ net to let the game 1-10 to 0-08 with 7 minutes to play.

Final scores from Jer Sheehan and Kieran Murphy let the game 1-12 to 0-08 in Kilcummin’s favour when referee Gordon Kerins blew the full time whistle.

Laune Rangers:
Tony Lyons, Keith Sheehan, Jeremy O’Callaghan, Christopher Riordan, Shane McSweeney, Kieran Crowley, Michael O’Sullivan, Maurice Foley, Tom Crowley, Mike Frank Russell, John Sheehan, Geoffrey Mahony, Colm O’Shea, Kevin Flynn, Pa Joy. SUBS: Shane Daly.

Kilcummin: Shane Murphy, Donal Maher, Sean Brosnan, Tommy Cooper, Eric O’Connor, Chris O’Leary, Damien O’Leary, Kevin Gormac, Shane McSweeney, Jer Sheehan, Gary O’Leary, Ian Devane, Enda O’Sullivan, Kieran Murphy, D.J. Fleming.

Referee: Gordon Kerins