Seniors vs Beaufort - Mid-Kerry Championship Semi-Final

posted 4 Nov 2013, 08:45 by Laune Rangers

Mid-Kerry Championship Semi-Final, Saturday 2nd November

Laune Rangers: 0-10

Beaufort: 0-07

Despite the slow start, Laune Rangers showed their experience at the end to hold on and book their place in the Mid-Kerry Final which is down to be played on Sunday 24th November.

Colm O’Shea got proceedings under way with a point for the visitors in the second minute. Beaufort captain, Kevin O’Brien replied with a point of his own in the 4th minute to level the game at 0-01 a piece. A stale mate followed as neither side were able to find the posts until the 22nd minute of the half when Kevin Flynn pointed to put Rangers back in front, 0-02 to 0-01.

Fergal Hallissey(2, 1f) and a Kevin O’Brien free added to Beaufort’s tally with Laune Rangers notching up just a further point to let the game 0-04 to 0-03 at the short whistle.

The accurate Kevin O’Brien was on hand to send over two early second half points (1 free) to let the game 0-06 to 0-03 in Beaufort’s favour with 3 minutes of the second half played.

Points from Kevin Flynn and John Sheehan for Laune Rangers closed Beaufort’s lead to just the minimum with 9 minutes of the second half played, 0-06 to 0-05.

Laune Rangers’ goalkeeper Tony Lyons pulled off three fine saves in the minutes that followed keeping Rangers in the game. Perhaps a lack of experience from Beaufort in opting to go for goal instead of taking their points at that stage in the game.

Fergal Hallissey gave Beaufort a two point lead in the 13th minute of the half with a well taken 45′ kick, 0-07 to 0-05.

Laune Rangers’ replied with two Kevin Flynn frees in the 19th and 21st minutes of the half to see the game level at 0-07 a piece going into the final 10minutes.

Laune Rangers continued to push on with Shane Daly and John Sheehan working hard in the Laune Rangers’ attack. Sheehan found Shane McSweeney free in the 30th minute with McSweeney splitting the posts to put Rangers ahead by 1; 0-08 to 0-07.

4/5 minutes of injury time was played at the end allowing for attention given to Nathan Breen who was helped from the field of play earlier in the second half.

John Sheehan and Kevin Flynn showed their experience in the 32nd and 34th minutes of the half to let the game 0-10 to 0-07 in Laune Rangers’ favour at the full-time whistle.

Laune Rangers will await the winners of Glenbeigh/Glencar vs Milltown/Castlemaine who play in the other Semi-Final next Sunday.

Laune Rangers: Tony Lyons, Michael O’Sullivan, Jeremy O’Callaghan, Tommy O’Callaghan, Shane McSweeney, Peter Crowley, Geoffrey Mahony, Shane Daly, Mark Healy, Colm O’Shea, Johnny Carey, Pa Sheehan, Kevin Flynn, John Sheehan, Pa Joy. SUBS: Barry O’Sullivan, Kevin O’Sullivan, John Tyther, Ryan Keane

Beaufort: Mike Moriarty, Conor Breen, Ger Hartnett, Sean Fogarty, Michael J. O’Connor, Nathan Breen, Padraig Harnett, Padraig O’Sullivan, Fergal Hallissey, Liam Carey, Francis Courtney, Darragh Coffey, Garry Coffey, Kevin O’Brien, Danny Healy. SUBS: Eanna O’Connor, Jason Foley.

Referee: James O’Sullivan, Firies.