Laune Rangers v Milltown/Castlemaine. Mid Kerry Senior League - 22/2/15

posted 22 Feb 2015, 09:21 by Laune Rangers

Visitors take advantage of extra man to take the spoils at the end.

Laune Rangers 0-9, Milltown Castlemaine 0-10.


Laune Rangers Seniors are still waiting for their first win of the season after Milltown /Castlemaine left Killorglin with the victory in the Mid Kerry League on Sunday evening.  It started well for Rangers as Kevin Flynn and Colm O’Shea (free) put the home side two points ahead in the opening minutes, while they were playing against a strong wind.  Flynn then was booked for a harsh challenge & surprisingly immediately received a second yellow for dissent & was sent off.  Chris Riordan added a point for Rangers to put his side 0-3 to nil ahead after 15 minutes, but the Killorglin side now faced ¾ of the game with 14 men.

Milltown/Castlemaine took advantage of the wind at their backs as well as the extra player and went on to score 4 unanswered points in the second quarter through John Blennerhassett, Jonathan O’Sullivan, Ciarán Kelleher & Jack McCarthy (free).  The score at half time: Laune Rangers 0-3, Milltown/Castlemaine 0-4.

Laune Rangers started the second half well with the wind advantage now with them and three frees from the boot of Colm O’Shea put them two points ahead – the latter of those from nearly 70 yards.  Milltown/Castlemaine got down the field quickly though and a shot in the square was stopped by a leg block, winning a penalty for the visitors.  Jonathan O’Sullivan put it wide though, and Rangers maintained their 0-6 to 0-4 lead.  Milltown/Castlemaine did manage to tie the game up soon after though, when Jack McCarthy slotted two frees for his side.  Shane McSweeney got his name on the scoresheet on the 45th minute following some great work from John Tyther and Rangers had a one point lead going into the final quarter; 0-7 to 0-6.

Conditions were now deteriorating, but substitute Eoin O’Brien levelled the game up again for the visitors, before first Shane McSweeney and then Colm O’Shea pointed for Rangers – O’Shea’s was another free from 65 yards+.  These would prove to be the home side’s final scores though, as they started to tire having played so much of the game a man short.  Ciarán Kelliher was now getting forward regularly from his own half and scored 2 late points to tie the game up, before corner back Nigel Wrenn got forward himself to kick what proved to be the winner.  There was time for one more long range free for Colm O’Shea, but the wind took the ball away from goal this time and the referee blew the final whistle.  Full Time in JP O’Sullivan Park: Laune Rangers 0-9, Milltown/Castlemaine 0-10.

The conditions on the day allowed few players shine, but there were some standout performances.  For Laune Rangers, Kieran Crowley was strong at the back, while team captain Shane McSweeney tried consistently to make up for the deficit in players.  Colm O’Shea though kicked five frees in total, two from around 70 yards out and one from an acute angle against a strong breeze in the first half to shine for Rangers.

John Blennerhassett was always dangerous going forward for Milltown/Castlemaine, while Eoin O’Brien impressed when he came on.  However it was centre back-come-midfielder Ciarán Kelliher who made the real difference on the day with 3 points from play.

Laune Rangers: Jason Browne, Kevin O’Sullivan, Tommy O’Callaghan, Keith Sheehan, Chris Riordan (0-1), Kieran Crowley, Michael O’Sullivan, Shane Daly, Shane McSweeney (0-2), Colm O’Shea (0-5 frees), John Tyther, Aidan Cox, John O’Shea, Kevin Flynn (0-1)(RC), Shane O’Connor.  Subs used: Tony Lyons, Jerry Coffey.

Milltown/Castlemaine: Kevin Tangney, Nigel Wrenn (0-1), Niall Colgan, Paul O’Carroll, Pa Wrenn, Ciarán Kelliher (0-3), John Blennerhassett (0-1), Jack Dennehy, Donal Kelliher, Jerry Hayes, Cathal Moriarty, Gavin Horan, Gavin McKenna, Jack McCarthy (0-3 frees), Jonathan O’Sullivan (0-1).  Subs used: Jerome Flynn, Eoin O’Brien (0-1), Seamus Dowd.