Keel vs Laune Rangers. Mid Kerry Senior League 1-3-15

posted 1 Mar 2015, 08:13 by Laune Rangers

Rangers still seeking MKL points following defeat at Keel.


Keel 1-12, Laune Rangers 2-7


Laune Rangers travelled to Keel on Sunday morning for a Mid Kerry League Round 3 tie.  While the home side was without a couple of important players, the Killorglin side went into the tie without the services of a huge section of their first team.  With Peter Crowley on Kerry duty, regulars such as Tony Lyons, Shane McSweeney, Chris Riordan, Colm O’Shea, &  John Tyther were all unavailable while Mike Frank Russell, Johnny Carey, Maurice Foley & Padraig Murphy have yet to begin their 2015 campaigns.

Keel scored inside the first minute, & continued to dominate the early exchanges to find themselves 0-3 to 0-0 ahead after 6 minutes – Terry O’Sullivan & James Long doing the damage but the latter’s score looked to have gone wide to all in the stand.  Laune Rangers started to find their rhythm though, and following a flowing move from the left flank to right, a Pa Joy hand-pass to the edge of the square found John Lodder, who fisted the ball into the net to tie the game up on the quarter mark.  Aaron Murphy (2) & David Flaherty (2) points for Keel put them clear again before John O’Shea ended the half with a pointed free for Rangers to make the score at the short whistle: Keel 0-7, Laune Rangers 1-1.

Terry O’Sullivan & John O’Shea exchanged braces of points in the 3rd quarter – the Rangers man’s second of the half a well struck free from over 50 yards.  The Killorglin side then found themselves level when Pa Joy was fouled in front of goal for a penalty, which was dispatched by Ryan Keane.  However, in the very next passage of play, Keel won a penalty of their own in a similar fashion, and James Long restored his side’s three point lead with a successful spot-kick.  The final quarter played out with very little between the sides.  Another well taken John O’Shea free – this one from a tight angle – was cancelled out by Terry O’Sullivan for Keel.  Muiris Crowley came off the bench for Rangers and with his first touch in senior football, won a free for his side which was dispatched by O’Shea.  Keel’s James Long and David O’Flaherty both pointed to put a goal between the sides before Aidan Cox reduced the gap to 2 with point for the visitors.  However, referee Brendan Twiss blew the final whistle to leave Laune Rangers still seeking their first win of the year.  The final score was Keel 1-12, Laune Rangers 2-7.

Laune Rangers: Jason Browne, Ger ‘Twin’ O’Sullivan, Tommy O’Callaghan, Keith Sheehan, Michael O’Sullivan, Kieran Crowley, Ryan Keane (1-0)(pen), Shane Daly, Cian Foley, John Lodder (1-0), John O’Shea (0-6)(all frees), Aidan Cox (0-1), Gavin O’Shea, Pa Joy, David Costello.  Sub used: Muiris Crowley for David Costello.