Senior‎ > ‎2020‎ > ‎2020 Senior Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Intermediate Championship Round 2:- Laune Rangers vs Ardfert. 01/08/2020

posted 1 Aug 2020, 15:49 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 1 Aug 2020, 16:08 ]
Soaked wet, but in great spirits! The Laune Rangers squad come together after Saturday evening's win

Laune Rangers 1-12, Ardfert 1-11

A late equalizing wonder point may have cost Laune Rangers the win last week, but this time it was a superb winner from a near impossible angle by John Tyther that decided the tie. The result does – at the very least – secure Intermediate status for Laune Rangers, although management will now set their sights on progressing further in the competition.

Laune Rangers held an early advantage, and led by 0-2 to 0-1 in the 9th minute when full forward Shane Daly received a black card for an off the ball incident that was missed by most. The resulting free was scored by Bobby O’Regan to level matters – Dáire Cleary & John Tyther (free) and Ardfert’s David Griffin with the earlier scores. Two young corner forwards Colin Walsh (Ardfert) and Gearóid Hassett traded points before Eoin Clifford restored Rangers’ lead with a super point, as Laune Rangers went into the 1st Half water break with a narrow 0-4 to 0-3 lead.

Bobby O’Regan scored an excellent 45’ as the rain began to teem town on JP O’Sullivan Park and, as expansive play became virtually impossible in the conditions, Ardfert captain David Griffin added two points to his tally to give his team the lead at the break. Half Time Score:- Laune Rangers 0-4, Ardfert 0-6.

The rain that fell late in the first half and during Half Time began to subside in the second half. Ardfert doubled their advantage with early points through John Egan & Bobby O’Regan (free), but this was nullified with pointed frees from John Tyther and Fiachra Clifford. David Griffin added two more points before Seán Arthurs was sprung from the Rangers bench to mark the full forward, who had five points from play up to that point. Ardfert took a hold of the tie in the 37th minute when Eoghan Courtney smashed his shot to the roof of the Rangers net following good play by Nathan O’Driscoll. This was familiar territory for Rangers – having been 8 behind at the same stage in the previous game – and went to work to claw away at the deficit. John Tyther kicked two frees with Rangers’ industrious forwards being fouled within scoring range, before Fiachra Clifford scored a fantastic point before the water break. With 15 minutes to play, Ardfert led by 1-10 to 0-9.

David Costelloe was introduced in the 53rd minute and caused immediate problems to the Ardfert defence, being fouled on his first touch. John Tyther put the resulting free over the bar – a super shot from the ground – to leave a goal between the sides. Costelloe’s second touch was equally as effective. A great move saw David Mangan find Dáire Cleary who put the substitute through on goal. He was chopped to the ground inside the square – a foul that saw the offending party Trevor Wallace shown the red card and sent to the line. John Tyther kept his cool and hit the net with the penalty kick to level the game at 1-10 a piece with 57 minutes played.

Laune Rangers, with the man advantage, were now on the ascendancy. Fiachra Clifford put Laune Rangers ahead in the first additional minute, but David Griffin scored his sixth of the night with a free. There was time for a winner though, and the home side were the team to get it as John Tyther took on a near impossible shot from the dressing room corner of the field with his right boot. Nicky Sullivan despondently directed his eyes upwards as the ball sailed between the posts and, with Rangers gaining possession of the resulting kickout, they held on to the ball until the final whistle was blown. Full Time Score:- Laune Rangers 1-12, Ardfert 1-11.

In a hugely exciting game in horrible weather conditions, a few players stood out. Ardfert skipper David Griffin was the go-to man for his team – especially in the first half - scoring six points on the night (5 from play). Goal scorer Eoghan Courtney played well, as did Fionán McKassey. For Laune Rangers, the introductions of David Costelloe up front and Seán Arthurs at the back gave the home side a huge boost – the former causing havoc near goal and being fouled for the penalty, with the latter holding David Griffin to just a pointed free during his 25-odd minutes on the field. Two men stood out for the Laune though – John Tyther & Fiachra Clifford. They shared 1-9 of the team’s 1-12 between them and were outstanding in general play.

In the final round of fixtures, Ardfert will host Rathmore with the losing team entering the relegation playoffs, while a Rathmore win will require Rangers to gain at least a point against already qualified Desmonds in Castleisland for a place in the Quarter Finals. Those fixtures will be confirmed by the CCC early in the week.

Laune Rangers:- Jason Browne, Evan Madden, Jonathan Carey, Seán Cleary, Eoin Clifford (0-1), David Mangan, Peter Crowley, John Tyther (1-6, pen, 5f), Jack O’Connor, Mark O’Connor, Fiachra Clifford (capt, 0-3, 1f), Shane Mc Sweeney, Gearóid Hassett (0-1), Shane Daly, Dáire Cleary (0-1). Subs:- Roan Moriarty, Patrick Carey, Seán Arthurs, David Costelloe.

Ardfert:- Nicky Sullivan, Trevor Wallace, Stephen Leen, Eric Leen, Iarla Courtney, Darren Dineen, Rhys Keane Doyle, Fionán McKassey, Kevin Shanahan, Eoghan Courtney (1-0), Bobby O’Regan (0-3, 2f), Eoghan McElligott, Colin Walsh (0-1), David Griffin (capt, 0-6, 1f), John Egan (0-1). Subs: Nathan O’Driscoll, Jordan Brick, Fionán Horgan.