Senior‎ > ‎2020‎ > ‎

2020 Senior Match Reports

County Intermediate Championship Quarter Final:- Laune Rangers vs Spa Killarney. 03/10/2020

posted 5 Oct 2020, 07:17 by Laune Rangers

Dáire Cleary taps the ball home to give Rangers late hope. Still captured from live stream (c) Kerry GAA &

Laune Rangers 1-8, Spa Killarney 1-10

Laune Rangers bowed out of the County Intermediate Championship at the Quarter Final stage as wasted chances ultimately proved costly against competition favourites Spa in Austin Stack Park on Saturday evening – James Devane proving the hero for the Killarney men at the end with his third point-black save at the final kick of the game.

Laune Rangers handed a full Championship debut to Stephen Sealy, who was one of nine U21s in the Killorglin starting team – 8 U20s plus team captain Fiachra Clifford.  Conor Murphy & Seán Arthurs also lined out in the full back line for their first starts of the year.  Spa were without talisman Liam Kearney but fielded an otherwise strong side.

Laune Rangers kicked the game’s first point through John Tyther, before Dara Moynihan scored what was ultimately a crucial goal in the 4th minute – the County star capitalizing on a turnover 50 metres from goal before driving through the defence and slotting the ball under Jason Browne and a couple of defenders. John Tyther scored a second point from a similar position to his first before Spa took control – Shane Cronin, Niall O’Mahoney (2) & Mike Foley scoring to put the Killarney side leading by 1-4 to 0-2 at the first half water break.

Mike Foley pointed a free before Fiachra Clifford slotted a free of his own, while David Spillane added another point for Spa at the other end. Rangers missed a host of chances in the second quarter, kicking five wides and dropping a further two into James Devane’s hands, but they were presented with a chance to get back in the game late in the half, as Eoin Clifford put a great pass into Gearóid Hassett who was left one-on-one with Devane. However, the Spa ‘keeper made a great save to deny Hassett, although Fiachra Clifford kicked a late point to leave 5 points between the teams at the break. Half Time Score:- Laune Rangers 0-4, Spa Killarney 1-6.

A Dara Moynihan point was book-ended by two John Tyther frees in the early minutes of the second half, while Niall McCarthy and Evan Cronin added points to a much more clinical Spa’s tally to leave them leading 1-9 to 0-6 at the second half water break.

John Tyther (free) and Gearóid Hassett reduced the deficit to four points for Rangers, before Mike O’Donoghue pointed for Spa to ensure Laune Rangers would need two goals in injury time. A great move by Rangers put Peter Crowley through on goal, but James Devane pulled off a great save to force the ball out for a 45’. The resulting dead ball kick led to chaos in the square, and Dáire Cleary was on hand to tap the loose ball to the net from close range to put the game in the balance. Laune Rangers were all out on the attack, and were presented with one final chance in injury time with a great move up the right flank, but Roan Moriarty’s shot was stopped yet again by James Devane – a shot that turned out to be the final kick of the game. Full Time Score:- Laune Rangers 1-8, Spa Killarney 1-10.

It was a game that Rangers almost 'stole' at the death, although they had more than their fair share of possession and more scoring chances during the 60 minutes.  Best for Rangers were the two afore mentioned men in the full back line - Conor Murphy & Seán Arthurs who showed no signs of rustiness - Murphy in particular having been out of action since October 2019.

Laune Rangers:- Jason Browne, Seán Arthurs, Conor Murphy, Kieran Crowley, Eoin Clifford, David Mangan, Peter Crowley, Stephen Sealy, Jack O’Connor, Mark O’Connor, Fiachra Clifford (0-2, 1f), Shane McSweeney, Dáire Cleary (1-0), John Tyther (0-5, 3f), Gearóid Hassett. Subs used: David Costelloe for McSweeney, Patrick Carey for Sealy, Roan Moriarty for M O’Connor, Shane Daly for J O’Connor, Seán Cleary for E Clifford.

Spa Killarney:- James Devane, Eoin Fitzgerald, Brian Lynch, Shane Lynch, Shane Cronin (0-1), Dan O’Donoghue, Gary Vaughan, Ciarán Spillane, Mike O’Donoghue (0-1), Niall O’Mahoney (0-2), Dara Moynihan (1-1), Niall McCarthy (0-1), Michael Foley (0-2, 1f), Evan Cronin (capt, 0-1), David Spillane (0-1). Subs used: Michael McCarthy for N McCarthy, Cormac Cronin for O’Mahoney.

County Junior League Round 2:- John Mitchels vs Laune Rangers. 04/09/2020

posted 4 Sept 2020, 14:59 by Laune Rangers

Laune Rangers Squad vs John Mitchels:- Back Row (l to r):- Tim Cronin (selector), Oisín Daly, Vinny Costello, Colm O'Shea, John Sheehan, Ronan O'Shea, Cormac Johnston, Paul O'Brien (player/selector), Paudie O'Shea (player/manager), Eamonn Carey, Kevin Fitzpatrick, William Byrne (selector). Front Row:- Cian O'Shea, Eric Dunlea, Shane Mangan, Gabriel Griffin, James Lynch, Pierce Tyther, James Hurley, Patrick Daly, Mike Frank Russell.

John Mitchels 0-11, Laune Rangers 5-11

Laune Rangers picked up their second win in the County Junior League on Friday evening with a super performance in Tralee against John Mitchels.

Cian O’Shea put Rangers ahead with a pointed free, and Mitchels responded with a free of their own before Vinny Costello pulled off a great save to deny a goal. Mitchels pointed another free before Rangers scored their first goal – Shane Mangan with a scorcher of a finish to the top corner following a super run from midfield. John Mitchels responded with a point before Rangers scored a second goal. Gabe Griffin was upended with a shoulder to the chest in the square and a penalty was awarded, with Mike Frank Russell finding the same corner as Mangan with his spot kick to leave Rangers leading by 2-1 to 0-3 at the first half water break.

Gabe Griffin scored an excellent point following a run up the left flank, but it was soon cancelled out by a point at the other end for the hosts. Cian O’Shea and Shane Mangan added to their tallies before Rangers hit for a third goal – Eamonn Carey finding Colm O’Shea with a great pass that drew the goalkeeper out from his line and the full forward kept his composure to round a couple of defenders and smash to an empty net. Mitchels added another point before Rangers scored a fourth goal – Ronan O’Shea collecting a good pass from Cian O’Shea before passing the ball across the square to the onrushing wing back James Hurley to tap it in. John Mitchels scored another point at the break to leave a Half Time Score:- John Mitchels 0-6, Laune Rangers 4-4.

Senior Team manager John Sheehan – introduced during the first half – scored two outstanding points with the breeze at his back to extend the Rangers lead before John Mitchels pointed another free. Colm O’Shea came close to his second goal after intercepting a wayward kickout, but his attempted lob of the Mitchels goalkeeper was slightly overcooked and the ball clipped the top of the crossbar and bounced over. Cian O’Shea followed up his brother’s point with one of his own to continue the Laune Rangers dominance. The home side pointed again before Rangers scored a fifth goal – Colm O’Shea getting his second as he collected a great pass and rounded the ‘keeper to tap the ball home to leave Laune Rangers leading by 5-8 to 0-8 at the second half water break.

The sides scored three points a piece in the final quarter – James Hurley adding to his tally by scoring a deserved point and Eamonn Carey scoring two super scores to complete the scoring. Full Time Score:- John Mitchels 0-11, Laune Rangers 5-11.

Due to tight numbers on the night, Laune Rangers bench was made up of members of the management team. With selector Paul O’Brien already on the field, Paudie O’Shea introduced himself late on to see the Senior Team manager, B Team manager and Minor manager (Mike Frank Russell) all to have played in the same game!

Laune Rangers:- Vincent Costello, Pierce Tyther, Cormac Johnston, James Lynch, James Hurley (1-1), Kevin Fitzpatrick, Eric Dunlea, Shane Mangan (1-1), Patrick Daly, Eamonn Carey (0-2), Michael F Russell (1-0 pen), Gabriel Griffin (0-1), Cian O’Shea (0-3, 1f), Colm O’Shea (2-1), Ronan O’Shea. Subs: John Sheehan (0-2), Paul O’Brien, Paudie O’Shea.

Paul O'Brien, Paudie O'Shea, Mike Frank Russell & John Sheehan

County Intermediate Championship Round 3:- Castleisland Desmonds vs Laune Rangers. 08/08/2020

posted 9 Aug 2020, 03:38 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 10 Aug 2020, 08:57 ]

A much needed warm-down after Laune Rangers defeat of Castleisland Desmonds on Saturday evening

Castleisland Desmonds 2-7, Laune Rangers 1-14

Laune Rangers will take their place in the Quarter Finals of the Intermediate Championship following defeat of also qualified Desmonds on Saturday evening in Castleisland.

Two early points by John Tyther and Gearóid Hassett got Laune Rangers off to an excellent start, with Tyther adding a pointed free in the sixth minute. A fantastic pointed 45 by David Mangan was followed by a Fiachra Clifford point to leave Rangers leading by 0-5 to 0-0. However, Desmonds managed to get on the board before the water break with points from Graham O’Connor & Danny Hickey to leave the home side trailing by 0-5 to 0-2 with fifteen minutes played.

Fiachra Clifford added two well taken points before he and Cian W O’Connor traded frees to leave Rangers leading by 5, while Barry Lynch & Jack O’Connor also exchanged points before the break. Half Time Score:- Castleisland Desmonds 0-4, Laune Rangers 0-9.

Desmonds found themselves down to 14 men in the early minutes of the second half, as Denis O’Connor was black carded and sent to the sin bin for ten minutes. This galvanised the home side though, and they soon found the net. Evan Madden was adjudged to have fouled Patrick Hickey in the square as a ball was dropping in and a penalty was awarded. The initial penalty shot was saved excellently by Jason Browne but the rebound fell at the feet of penalty taker Graham O’Connor who tapped the ball to the net. Gearóid Hassett responded with a fisted point for Rangers but – after Barry Lynch had scored an excellent long range point – Desmonds scored a second goal to take the lead. Luka Brosnan completed a long run with a shot, which took a deflection that caught Jason Browne flat-footed. Adam O’Donoghue added a point to leave Desmonds leading by 2-5 to 0-10 at the water break with fifteen minutes to play.

Desmonds’ Ryan Maguire was lucky to receive just a yellow card for a cynical foul on Gearóid Hassett as the young forward – while still 40 yards out – had only grass between him and the goal. After four consecutive wides, Laune Rangers regained the lead in the 52nd minute with a super goal. Dáire Cleary dispossessed a Desmonds attacker to knock the ball to David Mangan, who began and finished the move with the ball travelling through Mark O’Connor and Fiachra Clifford in the lead up. Laune Rangers controlled the remainder of the game, as they cut through Desmonds time and again, which left the hosts committing foul after foul. Three pointed frees by John Tyther were intersected by a solitary point by Adam O’Donoghue, while Fiachra Clifford tapped over a free in the dying seconds – Stephen Bartlett having pulled off a super save during an advantage – to give the visitors a four point win.
  Among the four substitutes introduced in the second half was Stephen Sealy, who made his Championship debut. Full Time Score:- Castleisland Desmonds 2-7, Laune Rangers 1-14.

Best for Castleisland on the evening were Brian Leonard, Luka Brosnan and Barry Lynch, although a great all round team performance gave Laune Rangers a much deserved win. Mark O’Connor put in his usual energetic display, while Fiachra Clifford led the forward line with great effect. David Mangan was outstanding on the night, his goal a just reward for his efforts. A special mention also goes to Kieran Crowley, who returned from an injury-enforced retirement two and a half years ago. He quickly shook off the 868 day old cobwebs to put in a super display.

Castleisland Desmonds:- Stephen Bartlett, Denis O’Connor, Maurice Lynch, Conor O’Shea, Luka Brosnan (1-0), Ryan Maguire, Luke Lyons, Brian Leonard, Maurice Hickey (capt), Patrick Hickey, Barry Lynch (0-2), Danny Hickey (0-1), Adam O’Donoghue (0-2), Cian W O’Connor (0-1), Graham O’Connor (1-1). Subs: PJ Curtin for P Hickey, Tadhg O’Shea for Maguire, Sean Prendeville for O’Connor.

Laune Rangers:- Jason Browne, Jonathan Carey, Kieran Crowley, Evan Madden, Eoin Clifford, David Mangan (1-1, 1 45’), Seán Cleary, Peter Crowley, Jack O’Connor (0-1), Shane McSweeney, Fiachra Clifford (capt, 0-5, 2f), John Tyther (0-5, 4f), Gearóid Hassett (0-2), Dáire Cleary, Mark O’Connor. Subs: Patrick Carey for Madden, David Costelloe for M O’Connor, Stephen Sealy for Tyther, Roan Moriarty for J O’Connor, Shane Daly for P Crowley

County Intermediate Championship Round 2:- Laune Rangers vs Ardfert. 01/08/2020

posted 1 Aug 2020, 15:49 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 1 Aug 2020, 16:08 ]

Soaked wet, but in great spirits! The Laune Rangers squad come together after Saturday evening's win

Laune Rangers 1-12, Ardfert 1-11

A late equalizing wonder point may have cost Laune Rangers the win last week, but this time it was a superb winner from a near impossible angle by John Tyther that decided the tie. The result does – at the very least – secure Intermediate status for Laune Rangers, although management will now set their sights on progressing further in the competition.

Laune Rangers held an early advantage, and led by 0-2 to 0-1 in the 9th minute when full forward Shane Daly received a black card for an off the ball incident that was missed by most. The resulting free was scored by Bobby O’Regan to level matters – Dáire Cleary & John Tyther (free) and Ardfert’s David Griffin with the earlier scores. Two young corner forwards Colin Walsh (Ardfert) and Gearóid Hassett traded points before Eoin Clifford restored Rangers’ lead with a super point, as Laune Rangers went into the 1st Half water break with a narrow 0-4 to 0-3 lead.

Bobby O’Regan scored an excellent 45’ as the rain began to teem town on JP O’Sullivan Park and, as expansive play became virtually impossible in the conditions, Ardfert captain David Griffin added two points to his tally to give his team the lead at the break. Half Time Score:- Laune Rangers 0-4, Ardfert 0-6.

The rain that fell late in the first half and during Half Time began to subside in the second half. Ardfert doubled their advantage with early points through John Egan & Bobby O’Regan (free), but this was nullified with pointed frees from John Tyther and Fiachra Clifford. David Griffin added two more points before Seán Arthurs was sprung from the Rangers bench to mark the full forward, who had five points from play up to that point. Ardfert took a hold of the tie in the 37th minute when Eoghan Courtney smashed his shot to the roof of the Rangers net following good play by Nathan O’Driscoll. This was familiar territory for Rangers – having been 8 behind at the same stage in the previous game – and went to work to claw away at the deficit. John Tyther kicked two frees with Rangers’ industrious forwards being fouled within scoring range, before Fiachra Clifford scored a fantastic point before the water break. With 15 minutes to play, Ardfert led by 1-10 to 0-9.

David Costelloe was introduced in the 53rd minute and caused immediate problems to the Ardfert defence, being fouled on his first touch. John Tyther put the resulting free over the bar – a super shot from the ground – to leave a goal between the sides. Costelloe’s second touch was equally as effective. A great move saw David Mangan find Dáire Cleary who put the substitute through on goal. He was chopped to the ground inside the square – a foul that saw the offending party Trevor Wallace shown the red card and sent to the line. John Tyther kept his cool and hit the net with the penalty kick to level the game at 1-10 a piece with 57 minutes played.

Laune Rangers, with the man advantage, were now on the ascendancy. Fiachra Clifford put Laune Rangers ahead in the first additional minute, but David Griffin scored his sixth of the night with a free. There was time for a winner though, and the home side were the team to get it as John Tyther took on a near impossible shot from the dressing room corner of the field with his right boot. Nicky Sullivan despondently directed his eyes upwards as the ball sailed between the posts and, with Rangers gaining possession of the resulting kickout, they held on to the ball until the final whistle was blown. Full Time Score:- Laune Rangers 1-12, Ardfert 1-11.

In a hugely exciting game in horrible weather conditions, a few players stood out. Ardfert skipper David Griffin was the go-to man for his team – especially in the first half - scoring six points on the night (5 from play). Goal scorer Eoghan Courtney played well, as did Fionán McKassey. For Laune Rangers, the introductions of David Costelloe up front and Seán Arthurs at the back gave the home side a huge boost – the former causing havoc near goal and being fouled for the penalty, with the latter holding David Griffin to just a pointed free during his 25-odd minutes on the field. Two men stood out for the Laune though – John Tyther & Fiachra Clifford. They shared 1-9 of the team’s 1-12 between them and were outstanding in general play.

In the final round of fixtures, Ardfert will host Rathmore with the losing team entering the relegation playoffs, while a Rathmore win will require Rangers to gain at least a point against already qualified Desmonds in Castleisland for a place in the Quarter Finals. Those fixtures will be confirmed by the CCC early in the week.

Laune Rangers:- Jason Browne, Evan Madden, Jonathan Carey, Seán Cleary, Eoin Clifford (0-1), David Mangan, Peter Crowley, John Tyther (1-6, pen, 5f), Jack O’Connor, Mark O’Connor, Fiachra Clifford (capt, 0-3, 1f), Shane Mc Sweeney, Gearóid Hassett (0-1), Shane Daly, Dáire Cleary (0-1). Subs:- Roan Moriarty, Patrick Carey, Seán Arthurs, David Costelloe.

Ardfert:- Nicky Sullivan, Trevor Wallace, Stephen Leen, Eric Leen, Iarla Courtney, Darren Dineen, Rhys Keane Doyle, Fionán McKassey, Kevin Shanahan, Eoghan Courtney (1-0), Bobby O’Regan (0-3, 2f), Eoghan McElligott, Colin Walsh (0-1), David Griffin (capt, 0-6, 1f), John Egan (0-1). Subs: Nathan O’Driscoll, Jordan Brick, Fionán Horgan.

County Intermediate Championship Round 1:- Laune Rangers vs Rathmore. 24/07/2020

posted 25 Jul 2020, 04:53 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 25 Jul 2020, 08:33 ]

Laune Rangers Championship debutants:- Gearóid Hassett, Evan Madden, Eoin Clifford and Seán Cleary

Laune Rangers 1-11, Rathmore 1-11

Spoils were shared in Direen, Killarney on Friday evening, as Laune Rangers mounted a fantastic second half comeback to claw back an eight point deficit. In fact, it was Rangers who led until a last kick of the game equalizer by Rathmore’s Eoin Lawlor grabbed a point for the East Kerry men.

A young Laune Rangers team took the field, with four Championship debutants in the side – Eoin Clifford, Evan Madden, Seán Cleary & Gearóid Hassett, with the latter pair making their full Senior debuts in all competitions. It also, of course, marked the first competitive game for 15 months for Peter Crowley, who began the game at full back but came out field in the second half.

The early minutes were tit-for-tat, as each point scored to nudge one team ahead was soon nullified by the opposition, with Rangers leading by 0-3 to 0-2 going into the quarter mark water break – Darragh Rahilly & Chrissy Spiers for Rathmore and Fiachra Clifford & Gearóid Hassett for Rangers leaving the sides level before a pointed free by John Tyther nudged the Laune ahead.

Mark Reen, who had been introduced in the early minutes for the injured John Moynihan, added a brace of points in quick succession to put Rathmore ahead with Eoin Lawlor adding another. Reen added a free before Rathmore doubled their lead as Chrissy Spears hit the net for a goal, with Colm Kelly instrumental in the build up. George O’Keeffe added another point just before the break but John Tyther responded with a pointed free. Half Time Score:- Laune Rangers 0-4, Rathmore 1-7.

When Darragh Rahilly and Chrissy Spears added points in the opening 90 seconds of the second half, Rathmore had a commanding eight point lead. However the Half Time introduction of Dáire Cleary into the Laune Rangers attack gave them fresh impetus and, with John Tyther beginning to excel at midfield, the Killorglin attack was at least creating more chances. Fiachra Clifford (free) and John Tyther (2, 1 free) reduced the gap but a Brendan O’Keeffe point stalled the comeback, to leave six points between the sides although the Tyther point from play may have been more after Shane Ryan had left his goal and lost possession, but his lob shot had a little too much power and went agonizingly over the crossbar. John Tyther added another pointed free before the game’s pivotal moment came – Laune Rangers’ Mark O’Connor capitalizing on an under-hit kickout, before passing to Gearóid Hassett who found Dáire Cleary and the substitute passed the ball low past Shane Ryan for a well executed goal. Another replacement Patrick Daly scored an excellent point to leave the minimum between the sides with a quarter to play – Rathmore leading 1-10 to 1-9.

John Tyther levelled the game with his sixth point of the evening in the 49th minute. The final ten minutes of the game, while entertaining, was short of scores but a guilt-edged goal chance was presented to Paul Murphy who was put through one on one with Jason Browne. However, the Rangers ‘keeper made himself as big as possible and Murphy’s shot to Browne’s near side went outside the post. Laune Rangers took the lead in the 57th minute, as Fiachra Clifford scored a super pointed free from out wide. The equalizer came with the final shot of the game, as Eoin Lawlor’s effort from the outside of his left boot curled between the post from a near impossible angle – a score most deserving of claiming a point for his side. Full Time Score:- Laune Rangers 1-11, Rathmore 1-11.

Laune Rangers:- Jason Browne, Jonathan Carey, Peter Crowley, Evan Madden, Eoin Clifford, David Mangan, Sean Cleary, John Tyther (0-6, 5f), Jack O’Connor, Shane McSweeney, Fiachra Clifford (capt, 0-3, 2f), Mark O’Connor, Gearóid Hassett (0-1), Shane Daly, David Costelloe. Subs:- Dáire Cleary (1-0) for Costelloe, Patrick Daly (0-1) for S Daly.

Rathmore:- Shane Ryan, Dan Murphy, Alan Dineen, Colm Kelly, Tadhg O’Mahony, Aidan O’Mahony (capt), Mike Joe Kelleher, Paul Murphy, Brendan O’Keeffe (0-2), George O’Keeffe (0-1), Dean Fitzgerald, Darragh Rahilly (0-2, 1f), Chrissy Spiers (1-1), Eoin Lawlor (0-2), John Moynihan. Subs: Mark Reen (0-3, 1f) for Moynihan, TJ Friel for A O’Mahony, Cillian O’Connor for T O’Mahony, Paul Reen for Dean Fitzgerald, Anthony Darmody for O’Keeffe.

County Senior Football Leagues:- Division Three: Keel vs Laune Rangers. Division Six: Kenmare B vs Laune Rangers B. 08/03/2020

posted 8 Mar 2020, 15:13 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 8 Mar 2020, 16:03 ]

Keel 0-7, Laune Rangers 0-7

Points were shared between two Mid Kerry rivals on Sunday afternoon as the County Senior Football Leagues got underway with Keel entertaining Laune Rangers.

Keel led by 0-2 to 0-0 in the early minutes with points from Gary Sayers & Aaron Murphy (free) but Rangers got on the scoreboard with a well taken pointed free into a stiff breeze by Jason Browne, leaving the home side leading by 0-2 to 0-1 with fifteen minutes played.

The second quarter was one way traffic, with Gary Sayers pointing three times from nearly the same patch of grass to give the hosts a strong lead going into the break. Half Time Score:- Keel 0-5, Laune Rangers 0-1.

Keel opened the scoring at the start of the second half to increase their lead, but Rangers then got going beginning with pointed free from Rangers captain Fiachra Clifford. Jason Browne added his second long range point before Kieran Doona pointed Rangers first from play – Mikey O’Sullivan with an excellent interception in the build up to the score. With fifteen minutes to play, Keel led by 0-6 to 0-4.

The final quarter was quite broken as the referee’s notebook was kept busy with a number of yellow cards issued. Johnny Carey received his second yellow to reduce Rangers to 14 men. Dáire Cleary pointed a free – claiming an excellent mark to win the free shot – to reduce the gap to the minimum, but Gary Sayers restored the two point margin with a pointed free for the hosts. Parity in personnel was restored momentarily when Keel’s Martin Burke received his marching orders for two yellow cards, as Fiachra Clifford pointed a free for Rangers. However, Mikey O’Sullivan was issued with his second yellow card to reduce Rangers to 13 men to give Keel some impetus. Rangers replied well from this though, and had two late goal chances that could have won the game – the first from Daragh O’Connor whose shot was stopped by the outstretched legs of a defender, and the second when Dáire Cleary chose to tap it over the bar to level matters as the game entered injury time.

Both sides had their chances to win the game late on. Gary Sayers’s shot went just wide for the home side, before a late chance forced a 45’ for Rangers. Jason Browne’s shot sailed agonisingly wide though with the final kick of the game. The final whistle was blown to see spoils shared – a fair result for both teams. Full Time Score:- Keel 0-7, Laune Rangers 0-7.

Keel:- Stephen Cahillane (capt), Gavin Evans, Donal O’Neill, Seán Corcoran, Aaron Cahillane, Luke Flynn, Thomas Ladden, Dara O’Dowd, Eoin O’Neill, Tommy Buckley, Gary Murphy, Gary Sayers (0-5, 1f), Aaron Murphy (0-2f), Martin Burke. Sub: Dylan Prendergast.

Laune Rangers:- Jason Browne (0-2f), James Hurley, Seán Arthurs, Pierce Tyther, Patrick Carey, Jonathan Carey, Eoin Clifford, Shane Daly, Michael O’Sullivan, Ronan O’Shea, Fiachra Clifford (capt, 0-2f), Shane McSweeney, Dáire Cleary (0-2, 1f), John Tyther, David Costelloe. Subs: Kieran Doona (0-1) for Ronan O’Shea, Daragh O’Connor for Hurley, Mark O’Connor for Costelloe, Michael F Russell for McSweeney.

Kenmare B 2-13, Laune Rangers B 1-8

Laune Rangers B:- Back (L to R): Paudie Russell (selector), Tim Cronin (selector), Eric Dunlea, Paul O'Brien (player/selector), Gavin O'Shea, Liam Quirke, Colm O'Shea, Eamonn Carey, Paudie O'Shea (player/manager), Mary Quirke (chairperson/no 1 supporter), Morgan O'Sullivan (maor foirne).  Front (L to R): Dáire Clifford, Stephen Sealy, Jack Evans, Oisín Daly, Darren O'Riordan, Vinny Costello, Patrick Daly, James Lynch.

Laune Rangers B team made their comeback to the County Senior Football Leagues with a visit to Kenmare B on Sunday afternoon. Due to a few injuries and work commitments just 13 players travelled. As the option of playing 13 a side was not afforded to Rangers, management had to provide the other 2 players, Paudie O'Shea and Paul O’Brien duly obliging. This did not deter Rangers in any way, and they opened the scoring with a nice run and point by Eric Dunlea. Kenmare, playing with the wind, replied with four points. Pa Daly put over two pointed frees before Kenmare finished strong with another 5 points. Half Time Score:- Kenmare B 0-9, Laune Rangers B 0-3.

Rangers started the second half with more intensity and pulled a couple of points back from Patrick Daly – 1 from play and 1 free, but the hosts soon added two further points. A turnover in midfield resulted in a goal for Kenmare, but an opportunistic goal by Jack Evans cancelled it out, and an outside of the boot point by Gavin O’Shea left the score at 1-11 to 1-6 in favour of Kenmare with 20 minutes to go.

It was nip and tuck for the last 20 minutes as two points from Kenmare were cancelled out by points through Pa Daly (free) and another through Paudie O'Shea. Kenmare then scored a second goal with the last attack of the game. Full Time Score:- Kenmare B 2-13, Laune Rangers B 1-8.

In all, it was a very solid return to the County Leagues for Laune Rangers and this game will stand to them with a number of players yet to return.

Laune Rangers B:- Vincent Costello, Dáire Clifford, Darren O’Riordan, James Lynch, Eric Dunlea (0-1), Oisín Daly, Liam Quirke, Patrick Daly (0-5, 4f), Stephen Sealy, Gavin O’Shea (0-1), Colm O’Shea, Eamonn Carey, Paudie O’Shea (0-1), Jack Evans (1-0), Paul O’Brien.

Mid Kerry Senior League Round 4 (rescheduled):- Cromane vs Laune Rangers. 01/03/2020

posted 1 Mar 2020, 11:05 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 1 Mar 2020, 11:06 ]

Back (L to R):- Shane Daly, Kieran Doona, Evan Madden, Jason Browne, Eoin Clifford, David Costelloe, Stephen Sealy, Jonathan Carey, Colm O'Mahony. Front (L to R):- Shane Doona, Ronan O'Shea, John Tyther, Dáire Cleary, Patrick Carey, Michael O'Sullivan, Neil O'Brien, Seán Arthurs, Mark O'Connor. Missing from photo: James Hurley, Shane McSweeney.

Cromane 1-9, Laune Rangers 1-9

Laune Rangers will contest the Final of the Mid Kerry Senior League following a hard fought draw against Cromane in the final round-robin game on Sunday, which was played in Cromane.

Rangers went ahead in the first minute with a point from Shane Doona and, after Cromane had taken the lead with points from Mikey Houlihan & Emmet Casey, Rangers wrestled it back with points from David Costelloe and Shane Doona. The home side had taken the lead by the quarter mark though – an alert Darren Houlihan getting the rub of the green when his penalty was excellently saved by Jason Browne only for the rebound to fall his way for a tap in goal. With fifteen minutes played, Cromane led by 1-2 to 0-3.

Seán O’Sullivan extended Cromane’s lead with a free, but Rangers dominated the second quarter. A pointed free by Dáire Cleary was followed up by a goal for the visitors to see the lead change hands again – Mikey O’Sullivan with an excellent pass in to David Costelloe who did well to gain and hold the ball in contact before kicking it to the net. A pointed free by Dáire Cleary saw Rangers going into the break with a two point lead. Half Time Score:- Cromane 1-3, Laune Rangers 1-5.

Kieran Doona was introduced at the interval for his brother Shane, and scored the first point of the 2nd Half to extend the Rangers lead. However, Cromane responded well and were level by the 46th minute – Mikey Houlihan and Seán O’Sullivan (2 frees) scoring to see the sides level at 1-6 a piece with a little less than a quarter of the game to play.

John Tyther, Dáire Cleary and David Costelloe points put Rangers ahead by three again, but the home side stayed in the game and scored three points of their own in the final five minutes through Seán O’Sullivan (2 frees) & Darren Houlihan (45’). Cromane had a chance to win it with the last kick of the game, but Darren Houlihan’s long free dropped short and the Rangers defence dealt with it. Cromane introduced Ian Costelloe late on to come up against his brother David on the Rangers team. Full Time Score:- Cromane 1-9, Laune Rangers 1-9.

Rangers stuck with the rotation policy they have used in this competition so far, with Senior debutant Evan Madden’s introduction at Half Time making him the 37th different player used over five games. The County Senior Football Leagues get underway next weekend with the A team facing Keel & B Team taking on Kenmare B – both away from home.

Cromane:- Sean Teahan, Liam Teahan, Cathal Crosbie, Ethan Griffin, Éanna Healy, Conor Sugrue, Brice Dourieu, Niall Dennehy, Donnchadh Walsh, Finbar Casey, Darren Houlihan (1-1, 1f), Danny O’Shea, Emmet Casey (0-1), Mikey Houlihan (0-2), Seán O’Sullivan (0-5f). Subs: Ian Costelloe for O’Shea, Danny Healy for F Casey.

Laune Rangers:- Jason Browne, James Hurley, Jonathan Carey, Colm O’Mahony, Patrick Carey, Seán Arthurs, Eoin Clifford, Shane Daly, Michael O’Sullivan (capt), Shane McSweeney, Dáire Cleary (0-3, 2f), Mark O’Connor, David Costelloe (1-2), John Tyther (0-1), Shane Doona (0-2). Subs: Kieran Doona (0-1) for S Doona, Evan Madden for J Carey, Neil O’Brien for Hurley, Ronan O’Shea for O’Connor, Stephen Sealy for Costelloe.

Mid Kerry Senior League Round 5:- Laune Rangers vs Milltown/Castlemaine. 23/02/2020

posted 23 Feb 2020, 09:47 by Laune Rangers

Laune Rangers Senior Squad vs Milltown/Castlemaine:- Back (L to R): Jason Browne, Shane Daly, Mark O'Connor, John Tyther, David Costelloe, Cormac Johnston, Daragh O'Connor, Mikey O'Sullivan, James Hurley, Colm O'Mahony. Front (L to R): Michael F Russell, Patrick Carey, Neil O'Brien, Shane McSweeney, Dáire Cleary, Ronan O'Shea, Eoin Clifford, Stephen Sealy, Pierce Tyther, Shane Doona, Fiachra Clifford. (missing from photo: Kieran Doona)

Laune Rangers 1-11, Milltown/Castlemaine 1-4

Laune Rangers hosted Milltown/Castlemaine on Sunday morning, coming out on top by four points at JP O’Sullivan Park. The Laune Rangers team including two players making their full debut – James Hurley and Eoin Clifford making their first starts for the Senior side.

Milltown/Castlemaine took the lead in the first passage of play when Jonathan O’Sullivan pointed from a tight angle, before Dáire Cleary pointed a free to level matters only for the visitors to go downfield immediately to go ahead again through Cathal Moriarty. However, Rangers grasped a lead in the 12th minute that they would not relinquish – Fiachra Clifford capitalizing on a wayward free by Milltown ‘keeper Cormac Leane, keeping his nerve to dispatch to the net for a goal. Clifford added a well taken point to leave Rangers ahead by 1-2 to 0-2 with a quarter played.

Craig Counihan saw a Milltown point nullified by a pointed free by Dáire Cleary, before Cathal Moriarty pointed again for the visitors. Rangers finished the half strongly though, with Patrick Carey & Dáire Cleary (free) pointing to double the home lead before the break. Half Time Score:- Laune Rangers 1-5, Milltown/Castlemaine 0-4.

Ronan O’Shea punched over a point within a minute of his introduction at the interval before Dáire Cleary knocked over his fourth free of the day. With 45 minutes played, Laune Rangers led by 1-7 to 0-4.

Dylan O’Neill pointed for the away side, before David Costelloe got on the scoreboard twice for Rangers following his third quarter introduction. Fiachra Clifford added a free before Shane Daly scored from long range to extend the lead to nine points. Milltown/Castlemaine halved the gap before the final whistle, however. Pointed frees by Jonathan O’Sullivan and Cathal Moriarty were followed by a successful penalty dispatched by Moriarty, after Colm O’Mahony was adjudged to have picked up a ball from the ground inside the square. This would prove to be the final score of the game, though. Full Time Score:- Laune Rangers 1-11, Milltown/Castlemaine 1-7.

Laune Rangers:- Jason Browne, Pierce Tyther, James Hurley, Colm O’Mahony, Eoin Clifford, Neil O’Brien, Patrick Carey (0-1), Shane Daly (0-1), Michael O’Sullivan, Shane McSweeney (capt), Fiachra Clifford (1-2, f), John Tyther, Dáire Cleary (0-4f), Kieran Doona, Mark O’Connor. Subs: Ronan O’Shea (0-1) for O’Connor, Daragh O’Connor for J Tyther, Michael F Russell for Doona, David Costelloe (0-2) for Cleary, Cormac Johnston for O’Brien; Stephen Sealy, Shane Doona.

Milltown/Castlemaine:- Cormac Leane, Stephen Roche (capt), Tadgh McCarthy, Paul Carroll, Kieran O’Carroll, Gavin Horan, Killian Kerins, David Roche, Donal Dennehy, John Dennehy, Eoghan O’Brien, Craig Counihan (0-1), Dylan O’Neill (0-1), Cathal Moriarty (1-3, pen 1f), Jonathan O’Sullivan (0-2, 1f). Sub: Pa Wrenn for K O’Carroll.

Mid Kerry Senior League Round 3:- Keel vs Laune Rangers. 09/02/2020

posted 9 Feb 2020, 09:49 by Laune Rangers

Keel 0-11, Laune Rangers 2-9

Laune Rangers picked up their second win of the Mid Kerry League campaign on Sunday afternoon with an away victory against Keel. Much like last week, Rangers rested their U21 contingent that played the previous day from Sunday’s starting team, providing the opportunity to give a large number of the Senior squad significant game time across the weekend.

Keel led in the early stages with two frees scored by Aaron Murphy. However, Rangers began put some good play together and were level by the 7th minute with two well taken points by Kieran Doona. Cillian Dowd put the hosts ahead again before a pointed free by Colm O’Shea levelled matters at 0-3 a piece with a quarter played.

Rangers took the lead in the 22nd minute as David Costelloe snuck in and – when a ball broke in his favour – was left one on one with Keel goalkeeper Stephen Cahillane and finished to the net. Cian Flynn and Aaron Murphy (free) points was a good response for Keel, but a good move for Rangers saw great passes from Johnny Carey to Michael O’Sullivan to Colm O’Shea who scored the last point of the first period. Half Time Score:- Keel 0-5, Laune Rangers 1-4.

Keel were level three minutes after the restart with two Aaron Murphy points – the first coming from the new offensive mark rule. However, Laune Rangers pushed on from here and dominated possession for the remainder of the first quarter. Kieran Doona, Shane Mc Sweeney and Patrick Daly pointed before McSweeney hit the net for Rangers second goal to leave Rangers leading by 2-7 to 0-7 with fifteen minutes to play.

Patrick Daly and Aaron Murphy twice traded points to keep the six point gap between the sides, but Murphy kicked his 8th point of the game from a free and Tom Ladden pointed with the last kick of the game. Full Time Score:- Keel 0-11, Laune Rangers 2-9.

Keel:- Stephen Cahillane, Seán Cremins, Aaron Cahillane, Gavin Evans, Seán Corcoran, Thomas Ladden (0-1), Daniel Ashe, Darragh O’Dowd, Tommy Buckley, Gary Murphy, Aaron Murphy (0-8, 6f), Eoin O’Neill, Cillian Murphy, Cillian Dowd (0-1), Cian Flynn (0-1). Subs: Colin Foley, Liam Clifford, Sean Langford.

Laune Rangers:- Jason Browne, Pierce Tyther, Jonathan Carey, Colm O’Mahony, Neil O’Brien (capt), John Tyther, Cormac Johnston, Shane Daly, Michael O’Sullivan, Patrick Daly (0-3, 2f), Shane McSweeney (0-1), Daragh O’Connor, Colm O’Shea (0-2, 1f), Kieran Doona (0-3), David Costelloe. Subs: Seán Arthurs for J Tyther, Eamonn Carey for O’Connor, Oisín Daly for Johnston.

Mid Kerry Under 21 Championship Semi Final:- Laune Rangers 1-12, Keel/Listry 1-2. 8/2/2020

posted 8 Feb 2020, 13:06 by Laune Rangers

Laune Rangers 1-12, Keel/Listry 1-2

Laune Rangers will contest the Mid Kerry Under 21 Championship Final again in 2020, following defeat of Keel/Listry in JP O’Sullivan Park on Saturday afternoon.

Playing with a strong breeze behind them in the first half, Rangers were ahead by five points after as many minutes – Shane Doona and Fiachra Clifford scoring early points before Shane Doona capitalized on a super Mark O’Connor pass to find the top corner of the net for a super goal. Ronan O’Shea & Eoin Clifford added points for Rangers to leave the hosts ahead by 1-4 to 0-0 with a quarter played.

The trend continued in the 2nd quarter as Shane Doona, Dáire Cleary (free), Fiachra Clifford, Evan Madden and Mark O’Connor all kicked points to leave Rangers in a commanding lead at the break – Keel/Listry struggling against the wind and rain and didn’t register a shot in the opening period. Half Time Score:- Laune Rangers 1-9, Keel/Listry 0-0.

Keel/Listry got onto the scoreboard early in the second half – Barry Keane pointing two frees for his side with the first one in particular catching the eye. Laune Rangers had plenty of possession against the breeze and scored their first point of the second half through a well taken Dáire Cleary free to leave the home side ahead by 1-10 to 0-2 with fifteen minutes to play.

Keel/Listry found the net in the 46th minute as Rangers goalkeeper Jack Evans was caught off his line by a lobbed shot by Barry Keane, but this would be the visitors’ final score of the game. Dáire Cleary scored his third pointed free before a foul on him denied him a goal-scoring chance, saw Cleary leave the field with a knock and his marker receive a black card and sin-bin. Fiachra Clifford scored the final point of the game with a free to see Rangers win by ten. Full Time Score:- Laune Rangers 1-12, Keel/Listry 1-2.

Laune Rangers now move on to the Mid Kerry Under 21 Final hoping to defend the title they won in 2019. They will face Glenbeigh/Glencar/Cromane in the decider following GGC’s win against Milltown/Castlemaine on Saturday.

Laune Rangers:- Jack Evans, Seán Cleary, Seán Arthurs, Evan Madden (0-1), Eoin Clifford (0-1), Patrick Carey (capt), Oisín Daly, Kevin Fitzpatrick, Stephen Sealy, Mark O’Connor (0-1), Fiachra Clifford (0-3, 1f), Dáire Cleary (0-3f), Ronan O’Shea (0-1), Gearóid Hassett, Shane Doona (1-2). Subs: Daragh O’Connor for Fitzpatrick, Rory O’Connor for Daly, Matthew Leslie for D Cleary, Darragh O’Shea for Madden.

Keel/Listry:- Cillian Sayers, Caolan Ryan, Garrett Prendiville, Seán Langford, Colin Foley, Seán Corcoran, Seamus Giles, Darragh O’Dowd, Daniel Ashe, Gary Murphy, Seán O’Sullivan, Gearóid Murphy, Ruairí Murphy, Barry Keane (1-2f), Micheál Buckley.

1-10 of 12