Senior‎ > ‎2018‎ > ‎2018 Senior Match Reports‎ > ‎

Mid Kerry Under 21 Championship Semi Final:- Laune Rangers vs Milltown/Castlemaine. 04/02/2018

posted 5 Feb 2018, 13:14 by Laune Rangers

Milltown advance to Under 21 Final

Laune Rangers 1-10, Milltown/Castlemaine 1-11

Milltown/Castlemaine will progress to the Final of the 2018 Mid Kerry Under 21 Championship after defeating Laune Rangers in the Semi Final in Killorglin on Sunday.

The awful weather of the previous few days cleared up to allow the game be played in glorious sunshine, but unfortunately the ground had insufficient time to dry up so the underfoot conditions were less than ideal.

Milltown/Castlemaine got off to a great start, and led by 0-6 to 0-1 after fifteen minutes – Dylan O’Neill (4, 3 frees), Gavin McKenna and Sean Hogan all pointing for the visitors while Dáire Cleary slotted a free for Rangers. Fiachra Clifford and Dylan O’Neill exchanged frees before Dáire Cleary reduced the gap between the sides with two points (1 free). However, a late David Roche point for Milltown/Castlemaine gave the away side the impetus going in at the interval. Half Time Score:- Laune Rangers 0-4, Milltown/Castlemaine 0-8.

Points for Craig Counihan and Kieran Griffin for Milltown were soon cancelled out by Dáire Cleary and Cian O’Shea points with O’Shea’s point particulary eye catching as he kicked from a tight angle & off-balance. However, the game’s main talking point game in the 37th minute as, with Milltown is possession with a free in the middle of the field, the referee’s whistle blew sharply as the man in charge ran towards the Rangers goal and awarded a penalty to Milltown/Castlemaine for something seen only by the officials in the square. Dylan O’Neill duly dispatched the spot kick to give his side a seven point lead. This somewhat took the wind out of the sails of the Laune Rangers players, with a solitary free by Fiachra Clifford the only response the hosts could muster in the third quarter. With a quarter to play, Milltown/Castlemaine led by 1-10 to 0-7.

Rangers were awarded another free in the 47th minute, with Fiachra Clifford slotting from long range as Rangers’ strong claims of jersey pulling and holding in the square were waved off. Another Clifford free was followed by a goal for Rangers to put just a point between the sides – Dáire Cleary with a mazy run up the left flank before the forward passed across the goal for Cian O’Shea to get his fist in among a number of Milltown defenders to send the ball to the net. Dáire Cleary levelled the scores in the 57th minute and it looked like extra time was inevitable. However, a late free in front of the Rangers goal was awarded to Milltown/Castlemaine, and Dylan O’Neill tapped over with ease. The final whistle was blown on the kickout to see Milltown/Castlemaine take their place in the Final to play Cromane/Glenbeigh/Glencar. Full Time Score:- Laune Rangers 1-10, Milltown/Castlemaine 1-11.

Laune Rangers:- Padraig Ahern, Pierce Tyther, Neil O’Brien, Darragh O’Shea, Sean Arthurs, Patrick Carey, Kevin Fitzpatrick, Darragh O’Sullivan, John O’Grady, David Mangan, Fiachra Clifford (0-4f), Daragh O’Connor, Cian O’Shea (1-1), Daniel Whittleton, Dáire Cleary (0-5, 3f).  Squad: Adrian Murphy, Gabriel Griffin, Ronan O'Shea, Eoin Clifford, Patrick Daly, Jamie Clifford, Mark O'Connor.

Milltown/Castlemaine, Cormac Leane, Tadgh McCarthy, Ciarán O’Connor, Roan Hegarty, David Leane, Gavin McKenna (0-1), Killian Kerins, Padraig O’Reilly, David Roche (0-1), John Dennehy, Eoin O’Brien, Dylan O’Neill (1-6, 1pen 5f), Mike Dennehy, Sean Hogan (0-1), Craig Counihan (0-1). Subs: Kieran Griffin (0-1) for E O’Brien, Aaron O’Brien for Griffin.