Senior‎ > ‎2018‎ > ‎2018 Senior Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Senior Football League Division Three Round 2:- Ballydonoghue vs Laune Rangers. 25/3/18

posted 25 Mar 2018, 14:04 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 25 Mar 2018, 14:38 ]

Laune Rangers win in Ballydonoghue

Rangers pick up their first League points of the season

Ballydonoghue 3-11, Laune Rangers 3-14

Laune Rangers made the 100 kilometre round trip to Coolard in Ballydonoghue on Sunday afternoon for Round 2 of the County Senior Football League, and it was a fruitful journey as they claimed both league points with a come from behind victory. The home side were without Kerry duo Jason Foley and Brian Ó’Seanacháin as well as injured midfielder Martin O’Mahony. Meanwhile, Laune Rangers had to make do without Peter Crowley, Tyther brothers John & Pierce as well as Ronan Sayers on the day.

Although Rangers had the majority of possession and scoring chances in the opening quarter, Ballydonoghue were far more economical with their chances and took an early lead. John O’Shea & Colm O’Shea pointed early scores for Rangers but Paul Kennelly kicked his sides opening point and added a goal from the penalty spot in the 6th minute – Rangers goalkeeper Jason Browne adjudged to have tripped a Ballydonoghue attacker while on the ground after saving a shot at goal. Paul Kennelly added another point soon afterwards to see the home side leading by 1-2 to 0-2 with a quarter played.

Full forward Kennelly continued his fine form by adding his and his team’s third point in the 21st minute, but is was soon answered by Rangers with points from Colm O’Shea (free) and Patrick Carey. Ballydonoghue midfielder Thomas Kennelly added the first of two excellent ‘45’s and Jim Cremin pointed from play for the home side, before a shot from Jack Foley was saved well by Jason Browne in goal for Rangers. Tom Kennelly added his second ‘45’, but Rangers got the final score of the first half as Cathal Doyle kicked an excellent point from distance to see the home side lead by four at the break:- Half Time Score:- Ballydonoghue 1-6, Laune Rangers 0-5.

Laune Rangers were level within two minutes of the restart – Shane Mangan pointing before Patrick Carey finished a great run upfield from wing back with a cool finish past former County minor and U21 goalkeeper Darragh O’Shea. A Jack Foley point for the hosts was cancelled out by a well taken point by Rangers’ Daragh O’Connor – making his first Senior start – and 2017 All Ireland Minor winner Fiachra Clifford pointed a free to put Rangers ahead in the 36th minute. The lead was short lived though, as Jack Foley smashed the ball in to the roof of the net from the edge of the square to regain the lead for Ballydonoghue. It was a double hammer-blow to Rangers, as Rangers’ talismanic defender Kieran Crowley suffered what looked like a serious injury in the lead up to the goal and was replaced. Laune Rangers couldn’t find any luck at the opposite end as Darragh O’Shea pulled off a double save from David Costelloe. The home side added points from veteran forward Padraig Lyons and Paul Kennelly to lead by 2-9 to 1-8 with 45 minutes played.

A pointed free by Colm O’Shea left a goal between the sides, but Rangers were dealt another blow in the 54th minute as they conceded a second penalty of the game – Jason Browne adjudged to have fouled a Ballydonoghue forward after he had punched a loose ball clear. Paul Kennelly stepped up again and delivered the same result as the first time, slotting the ball into the bottom corner. This took the wind out of the Rangers players’ sails and Kennelly added two points (one free) to put the home side 8 points ahead with six minutes of normal time to play – although the injury to Crowley as well as four occasions where Ballydonoghue players went down with cramp/injury in the second half meant that there would be significant injury time added on at the end of the game.

Fiachra Clifford and Colm O’Shea (free) brought Rangers back to within two goals and, with seven additional minutes announced by the referee, there was time for a Rangers resurgence. Patrick Carey palmed the ball into the net for his second goal in the 61st minute, and Rangers had all the momentum. Fiachra Clifford added a free for Rangers before the visitors completed an amazing comeback as Padraig Murphy made full use of his height to get his fist to a ball put into the square by Colm O'Shea, sending it to the net. There was now 6 and a half minutes played of injury time and Rangers wouldn’t have been blamed if they ‘parked the bus’ in front of their own goal. However, play continued and Rangers did the same – Fiachra Clifford putting two between the sides, which left Ballydonoghue searching for a goal. Rangers defence stood strong though, and survived dropping to 14 men for one play as Colm O’Shea was black carded (replaced by his brother Cian once the ball went dead). Rangers maintained their composure and got on the attack again. Minors Daragh O’Connor & Dáire Cleary linked up well for the latter to punch the ball over the bar for the game’s final score, and the final whistle was blown after 10 additional minutes at the end of the second half. Final Score:- Ballydonoghue 3-11, Laune Rangers 3-14.

With the first round of the Club Championship just a week away, this win was a big boost to team morale, and it also gave Rangers two valuable County League points. However, the loss to injury of Kieran Crowley is a big blow to Rangers.

Jim Cremin put a big shift in for the hosts on the day, with Jack Foley always threatening. However, Paul Kennelly carried his side on the day, and ended with a personal tally of 2-6.

With a number of players unavailable to Tim Fleming and his selectors, Laune Rangers put out a young side with 10 players aged 24 or younger in the starting team. Shane Daly edged the midfield battle, fielding some great catches and breaking the ball well for the most part. Fiachra Clifford was excellent in the final quarter in particular, as was Cathal Doyle who turned over possession on a number of occasions. Daragh O’Connor looked like a veteran on his first Senior start, while the management team will be happy with their substitutions as Padraig Murphy & Dáire Cleary scored two key late scores. Stand out performance was that of Patrick Carey though, who pitched in with 2-1 from half back.

Ballydonoghue:- Darragh O’Shea, Billy Foley, Colin O’Mahony, Danny Power, Padraig Enright, Diarmuid Behan, Jack Gogarty, Thomas Kennelly (0-2, 2 45s), Kevin O’Donnell, Jim Cremin (0-1), Eamon Walsh, Jack Behan, Jack Foley (1-1), Paul Kennelly (2-6, 2 pens, 1f), Padraig Lyons (0-1).

Laune Rangers: Jason Browne, Neil O’Brien, Jonathan Carey, Cormac Johnston, Patrick Carey (2-1), Kieran Crowley, Cormac Doyle (0-1), Shane Daly, Jack O’Connor, David Costelloe, Fiachra Clifford (0-4, 2f), Daragh O’Connor (0-1), John O’Shea (0-1), Shane Mangan (0-1), Colm O’Shea (0-4, 3f). Subs: Chris Riordan for Crowley, Dáire Cleary (0-1) for J O’Shea, Padraig Murphy (1-0) for Costelloe, Cian O’Shea for Colm O’Shea (bc rep).