Senior‎ > ‎2017‎ > ‎2017 Senior Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Intermediate Football Championship Round 2:- Glenflesk vs Laune Rangers. 23/4/17

posted 23 Apr 2017, 15:40 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 24 Apr 2017, 03:43 ]
Shane McSweeney catches the ball high over his head under pressure from Glenflesk's Daniel O'Brien

Laune Rangers defeat Glenflesk in Intermediate Championship

Rangers through to Semi Final of Competition with away win

Glenflesk 0-13, Laune Rangers 3-7

Laune Rangers are through to the Semi Final of the County Intermediate Championship, as they defeated Glenflesk away from home in Round Two on Sunday afternoon. The injury to Neil O’Brien in last week’s win in Milltown saw Ryan Keane come in as Rangers only change to their team from the first Round.

Glenflesk started well and had the home fans cheering with points from brothers Lee and Jeff O’Donoghue in the opening two minutes. Laune Rangers were not behind for long though, as Connor Clarke struck the net for visitors for a goal to give Rangers the lead. A Dara Roche point for Glenflesk was cancelled out by an excellent score with his left boot for David Costelloe and, after Shane McSweeney had pointed from distance for Rangers, Peter Crowley turned over a ball in the Glenflesk defence and ran in to score a great goal. Jeff O’Donoghue pointed again for Glenflesk, leaving Laune Rangers in the lead by 2-2 to 0-4 with 15 minutes played.

The second quarter will be remembered more for misses than scores. Glenflesk’s Brian O’Donoghue put a goal chance wide when it looked certain that the green flag next to Tony Lyons would be raised, and the trend continued as both sides missed a number of chances in the remainder of the half – Glenflesk putting 7 outside the posts, while Laune Rangers kicked 4 shots wide and dropped four more into the hands of Felim Jacobs in in the Glenflesk goal. Glenflesk did enough to level the game before the break, with O’Donoghues Brian, Lee (2, 1 free) and Jeff all pointing before the short whistle. Half Time Score:- Glenflesk 0-8, Laune Rangers 2-2.

Glenflesk took the lead early in the second half with a point from Michael O’Shea, but this was soon reversed as Shane McSweeney and Colm O’Shea kicked fine points to edge Rangers ahead. Laune Rangers were given a great opportunity to extend the lead in the 37th minute, when David Costelloe received a flick pass from Connor Clarke and bore down on goal, before being brought to ground by Jacobs for a penalty – the goalkeeper very lucky to escape a black card having denied Costelloe a certain goal. John Tyther made no mistake with the spot kick to put his side ahead by four.

Glenflesk responded with points in quick succession from Dara Roche and Lee O’Donoghue before Colm O’Shea responded with a free for Rangers. A black card for Johnny Carey then saw Rangers face into the final quarter without their talismanic full back, but with 15 minutes to play, Laune Rangers led Glenflesk by 3-5 to 0-11.

Colm O’Shea doubled Rangers’ lead with a brace of frees before the Killorglin men were dealt a hammer blow as John Tyther received his marching orders with a red card for a high tackle. Jeff O’Donoghue added a brace for Glenflesk to leave two points between the sides after 54 minutes. A huge defensive effort from Laune Rangers made up for their reduced personnel on the field, as Aidan Cox, Ronan Sayers, John Sheehan & co broke down the Glenflesk attack time and again. Five minutes of injury time were played when a final long ball was played into the Rangers square, and David Costelloe intercepted a pass to deny the hosts a goal chance before the final whistle was blown. Full Time Score:- Glenflesk 0-13, Laune Rangers 3-7.

Glenflesk will rue the missed chances in the first half as they couldn’t capitalize on the extra man for the final quarter. 2016 All Ireland Minor winner Daniel O’Brien carried a lot of ball out of the back, as did Kieran Murphy at midfield in front of him. However, their big three forwards Dara Roche & O’Donoghue brothers Lee and Jeff scored 11 of their team’s total of 13 points between them and stood out for the hosts.

Following last week’s excellent attacking display, Laune Rangers found scores much harder to come by against the Glenflesk defence. However, Colm O’Shea was unerring in his score taking from frees and added another from play. John Sheehan once again was outstanding at midfield with Shane McSweeney and Crowleys Peter and Kieran were rock solid when needed most. Patrick Carey completed his fourth game in eight days with a big effort, and continues to grow into Senior football. However, special mention goes to David Costelloe who won a lot of ball up front, scored an excellent point and worked to get back for a game winning interception at the death. Laune Rangers now move on to the Semi Final of the Intermediate Championship, which will take place later in the year.

Glenflesk:- Felim Jacobs, Shane Courtney, James McCarrick, Christopher O’Donoghue, Kieran A O’Donoghue, Daniel O’Brien, Brian O’Donoghue, Kieran Murphy, Padraig Healy, Michael O’Shea (0-1), Jeff O’Donoghue (0-5), Danny Lucey, Gavin Kelly, Dara Roche (0-2), Lee O’Donoghue (0-4). Subs: Donal O’Sullivan for Healy, Ian Roche for Kelly, Kieran O’Mahony for K O’Donoghue.

Laune Rangers: Tony Lyons, Ronan Sayers, Johnny Carey, Aidan Cox, Ryan Keane, Kieran Crowley, Patrick Carey, Peter Crowley (1-0), John Sheehan, Jack O’Connor, Shane McSweeney (0-2), John Tyther(1-0), David Costelloe (0-1), Connor Clarke (1-0), Colm O’Shea (0-4). Subs: Michael O’Sullivan for J Carey (black card), Fiachra Clifford for O’Connor, Michael F Russell for O’Shea, Padraig Murphy for O’Sullivan.