Senior‎ > ‎2016‎ > ‎2016 Senior Match Reports‎ > ‎

County SFL Division Two Round 2:- Waterville vs Laune Rangers. 26/3/16

posted 26 Mar 2016, 14:39 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 27 Mar 2016, 14:02 ]
Shane Daly catches the ball at midfield ahead of Cormac O'Sullivan (Waterville). Colm O'Shea is in support

Laune Rangers defeated in Waterville

Dominant second half display by home side wins it in terrible conditions

Waterville 2-7, Laune Rangers 0-4

Laune Rangers made the trip down along the Ring of Kerry to Waterville on Saturday evening for Round Two of the County Senior Football League. A full strength Waterville side lined out against a Rangers team missing a number of keys players – Peter Crowley is on intercounty duty while Mike Frank Russell is still recuperating from injury. They did, however, welcome back John Sheehan, Kieran Doona & captain Maurice Foley who all made their first appearance of the season.

With a number of water patches on the field, conditions were far from ideal, but Waterville – playing into the wind for the first half – adapted better and were four points ahead after 5 minutes. Cormac O’Sullivan pointed inside the first minute before Waterville dissected the Rangers defence & Kevin O’Dwyer blasted the ball past Tony Lyons for a goal. John O’Shea & Kieran Doona slotted over frees to get Rangers on the scoreboard to halve the deficit by the quarter mark. The score after 15 minutes:- Waterville 1-1, Laune Rangers 0-2.

Laune Rangers dominated the possession stakes in the second quarter with Shane Daly in particular winning the battle at midfield. They ultimately couldn’t convert this to scores though as time and time again, the forwards were beaten by the wind and slippery pitch to see passes aimed for them zip out over the end line. Three missed frees in this period also proved costly as just a point from each side was traded before half time – Barry O’Dwyer pointing for the home side before John O’Shea (free) scored for Rangers before the short whistle. The score at Half Time:- Waterville 1-2, Laune Rangers 0-3.

The third quarter was starved of quality as the visiting side struggled to deal with the conditions. Three unanswered points for Waterville through Barry O’Dwyer, Keith Moran and Greg Gibson put the hosts in control and left Rangers chasing the game. The score with 15 minutes to play:- Waterville 1-5, Laune Rangers 0-3.

Laune Rangers pushed up in search of a goal, but were unsuccessful in a few attempts to put the ball in the net through a crowded goal area. Full forward Gearoid O’Sullivan pointed a free before finishing the game off as a contest with a well taken goal on a counter attack for Waterville. Westley Delaney notched Rangers’ first score of the second half & their first from play in the game when his shot at goal was excellently saved by Eoin O’Sullivan who deflected the ball over the bar. Barry O’Dwyer notched a final point from a free to claim the victory and League points. Final Score: Waterville 2-7, Laune Rangers 0-4.

Laune Rangers remain without a point after two rounds of the County League. On a day where nothing went the way of the Killorglin side, there were some notable performances. Shane Daly was excellent in the first half & in better conditions would have created some scores, but it was the performances of Liam Quirke & Michael O’Sullivan that were best for Rangers.

Waterville: Eoin O’Sullivan, Micheal Cronin, Daniel O’Dwyer, Fionan Clifford, John V O’Dwyer, Greg Gibson (0-1), Alan O’Dwyer, Cormac O’Sullivan (0-1), Oran Clifford, Fergal Cronin, Kevin O’Dwyer (1-0), Adam O’Dwyer, Barry O’Dwyer (0-3), Gearoid O’Sullivan (1-1), Keith Moran (0-1).

Laune Rangers: Tony Lyons, Kieran Crowley, John Sheehan, Ronan Sayers, John Tyther, Michael O’Sullivan, Liam Quirke, Shane Daly, Daniel Macbeth, Colm O’Shea, Conall Kelly, David Costelloe, John O’Shea (0-2), Maurice Foley, Kieran Doona (0-1). Subs used: Kevin Flynn, Padraig Murphy, Westley Delaney, Shane Mangan, Paul Larkin.