Minor‎ > ‎2019‎ > ‎2019 Minor Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Minor League Division 1 Round 3:- Killarney Legion vs Laune Rangers. 16/03/2019

posted 16 Mar 2019, 17:01 by Laune Rangers

Killarney Legion 1-9, Laune Rangers 2-8

A much improved second half display gave Laune Rangers a hard earned victory over Killarney Legion in Derreen on Saturday afternoon in Division 1 of the County Minor League.

Rangers were without goalkeeper Jack Evans on the day, so U16 netminder Jake Reenstierna was drafted up to the minor squad. He had a familiar face in front of him though, as twin brother Matt lined out at full back. Rangers welcomed both Roan Moriarty and Gearóid Hassett back into the team for their first appearances of the season.

There wasn’t much to separate the sides in the early exchanges, as Gearóid Hassett opened his account in the 2nd minute with a point only for Legion to grab their first point soon after. The hosts took the lead in the 7th minute with a goal after good play on the right flank, but Gearoid Hassett scored his second point with a super effort from near the sideline. That would prove to be Rangers last score of the first half, as another Legion point saw the home side leading by 1-2 to 0-2 with 15 minutes played.

Legion added three points from play in the second quarter to take a commanding lead into the break as Rangers struggled to put any pattern of play together. Half Time Score:- Killarney Legion 1-5, Laune Rangers 1-2.

Legion pointed with the first play of the second half to extend their lead to seven points, but Laune Rangers soon found their rhythm. The half time introduction of Callum Russell paid immediate dividends as he fielded three great balls in succession to mount pressure on the Legion defence. Shane Doona pointed a free, before a great move put Gabe Griffin through on goal and the wing forward applied a deft shot low to the near post for an excellent goal. Matthew Leslie pointed for Rangers, before two Legion points restored their lead to 4. With 15 minutes to play, Legion led by 1-8 to 1-4.

The final quarter was dominated by Laune Rangers. The visitors scored their second goal in the 52nd minutes – Shane Doona’s persistence in chasing down every ball in the second half rewarded as an error by the Legion goalkeeper allowed him turn the ball over and kick it into an empty net. Rangers went on to add three successive points through Matt Leslie, Gabe Griffin and Roan Moriarty to go ahead by two. Legion reduced the gap to the minimum with a 62nd minute point, but the final score of the game was to the Rangers side who turned the ball over in defence and put Gearóid Hassett away on the break. Hassett made no mistake in slotting the ball between the posts to clinch the win for Rangers. Full Time Score:- Killarney Legion 1-9, Laune Rangers 2-8.

Credit goes to the Legion club whose pitch held up fairly well on a day when a number of games had to be postponed.

Laune Rangers Team:- Jake Reenstierna, Seán Cleary, Matthew Reenstierna, Evan Madden, Rory O’Connor, David Mangan, James Hurley, Roan Moriarty (0-1), Eoin Clifford, Gabriel Griffin (1-1), Matthew Leslie (0-2), Calum Moriarty, Ronan O’Shea, Gearóid Hassett (0-3), Shane Doona (1-1). Subs used: Callum Russell for Moriarty, Jack Healy for Griffin.