Minor‎ > ‎2019‎ > ‎2019 Minor Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Minor Championship Group 3 Round 2:- Laune Rangers vs St Brendans. 02/07/2019

posted 2 Jul 2019, 16:32 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 3 Jul 2019, 01:35 ]

Laune Rangers 3-16, St Brendans 0-16

Having lost their opening round fixture in this year’s County Minor Championship, Laune Rangers hosted St Brendans on Tuesday evening in a must win game. Thankfully, JP O’Sullivan Park basked in glorious sunshine, allowing for a fantastic game of football. The addition of Kerins O’Rahillys has strengthened the St Brendans squad greatly, as they joined the players from Na Gaeil, Churchill, John Mitchels, Ardfert & St Pats Blennerville in the St Brendans ranks.

With no score in the opening five minutes, the deadlock was broken by the visitors with a pointed free by Nathan O’Driscoll, but Laune Rangers soon led as Gearóid Hassett finished to the net following a super run. Ronan O’Shea pointed before Shane Doona scored Rangers second goal of the game – another great finish. St Brendans began to put some play together, and Conor Hayes pointed twice to see Rangers leading by 2-1 to 0-3 with a quarter played. Gearóid Hassett & Ronan O’Shea (free) added points for the hosts before St Brendans (& Kerry Minor) goalkeeper Devon Burns came upfield to score a 45 – Rangers ‘keeper Jack Evans having deflected the ball out over the end line by stopping a close range goal shot. Shane Doona pointed for Rangers in the 20th minute, but the rest of the half was dominated by the visitors. St Brendans pointed six points in succession to level the game – Fergal O’Brien, Conor Hayes (free), Joe Lenihan, Nathan O’Driscoll (2, 1 free) & Tadgh Lynch all scoring. Rangers had two goal chances in this period though, as Stephen Sealy saw his shot saved before Gearóid Hassett’s shot rattled the crossbar. However, a pointed free by Ronan O’Shea gave Rangers the lead by the break. Half Time Score:- Laune Rangers 2-5, St Brendans 0-10.

Matthew Leslie pointed a free to double Rangers’ lead early in the second half, before Rangers were awarded a penalty for a sliding challenge just inside the square. However, Roan Moriarty’s shot was saved by Devon Burns. Matt Leslie added another point before Conor Hayes cancelled it out at the other end. Ronan O’Shea saw two pointed frees nullified by Fergal O’Brien for St Brendans to leave Rangers ahead by 2-9 to 0-13 with fifteen minutes to play.

The final quarter of the game was dominated by Laune Rangers. After Nathan O’Driscoll had pointed for the visitors, Rangers scored six points in succession – Gearóid Hassett (3), Matt Leslie (2) & Shane Doona putting the Laune into a commanding position. A Joe Lenihan point stemmed the tide for only a minute, as Gabe Griffin followed up a point with Rangers third and final goal, with some superb teamwork in the buildup. Conor O’Sullivan scored a point for the visitors, but it was the final kick of the game. Full Time Score:- Laune Rangers 3-16, St Brendans 0-16.

It was a hugely improved performance for Rangers following a disappointing loss in Round 1. Gearóid Hassett & Shane Doona were lethal up front, while Eoin Clifford & Ronan O’Shea were superb all over the field.

As Killarney Legion defeated Dr Crokes in the other game in the group, all teams have won 1 game each and all is to play for in the final round. On Tuesday next, July 9th, Laune Rangers face Legion and St Brendans play Dr Crokes – both at neutral venues yet to be confirmed.

Laune Rangers:- Jack Evans, Seán Cleary, Matt Reenstierna, Evan Madden, Eoin Clifford, David Mangan, James Hurley, Roan Moriarty, Rory O’Connor, Matthew Leslie (0-4, 1f), Gabriel Griffin (1-1), Gearóid Hassett (1-4), Ronan O’Shea (0-5, 4f), Stephen Sealy, Shane Doona (1-2). Subs: Calum Moriarty, Conor Burke, Callum Russell.

St Brendans:- Devon Burns (0-1f), Stephen Bowler (capt), Ruarí O’Sullivan, Cian Donnellan, Mikey Clifford, Tomás O’hAiniféin, Oisín Maunsell, Joe Lenihan (0-2), Dara Courtney, Daniel Bowler, Tadgh Lynch (0-1), Jack Sheehan, Fergal O’Brien (0-3), Nathan O’Driscoll (0-4, 3f), Conor Hayes (0-4, 1f). Subs: Jimmy O’Sullivan, Conor O’Sullivan (0-1).