Minor‎ > ‎2018‎ > ‎2018 Minor Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Minor Football League Division One Round 3:- Dr Crokes vs Laune Rangers. 19/03/2018

posted 19 Mar 2018, 12:28 by Laune Rangers

Minors defeated by Dr Crokes

Dr Crokes 1-13, Laune Rangers 3-5

On a bitterly cold day in Lewis Road, Killarney, Laune Rangers fell to defeat to Dr Crokes in the County Minor League Division One.

It took until the fifth minute for the game’s first score, as Shane Doona tapped in a rebounding ball after his own shot had been stopped at first by the Crokes goalkeeper but from that point, Dr Crokes got on the ascendancy maintaining pressure on the Rangers goal. Laune Rangers goalkeeper Jack Evans was tested on multiple occasions but wasn’t found wanting, pulling off two big saves and showed safe hands under the high ball. Dr Crokes managed to get a point on the board in the 9th minute, but Rangers responded well and, following a fantastic pass from David Mangan, Dáire Cleary ended a 40 yard solo run with an excellent finish to the net. Cleary added to this a couple of minutes later with a well taken point following some great defending and a long pass from Sean Arthurs. However, Dr Crokes came back into the game and scored three unanswered points (1 free) to leave Rangers leading by 2-1 to 0-4 with 18 minutes played.

Mark O’Connor added good point for Rangers from a tight angle, but Crokes finished the first half the stronger, and added on two pointed frees to see the sides head for the relative warmth of the dressing rooms with the Half Time Score:- Dr Crokes 0-6, Laune Rangers 2-2.

Gabriel Griffin pointed for Rangers to cancel out an earlier Crokes point, but the home side went on to kick five points unanswered (2 from frees) to lead by 0-12 to 2-3 with a quarter to play.

Dr Crokes struck a hammer blow to Rangers in the 50th minute when they struck for goal to double their lead, but Rangers took over on the attack for the remainder of the game. Rangers got a goal back in the 56th minute when two substitutes linked up as Gearoid Hassett passed the ball across the square to Eoin Evans who palmed it to the net, but a black card to Laune Rangers captain Daragh O’Connor for pulling a defender to the ground saw Rangers lose a talisman. Dr Crokes went downfield to point again and put four between the sides heading into stoppage time. Rangers were unable to find the net in additional time, with Dáire Cleary pointing two frees, the second in attempt at goal. Full Time Score:- Dr Crokes 1-13, Laune Rangers 3-5.

Best for Crokes were Michael Lenihan and Harry Potts. For Rangers, the players with senior experience – Dáire Cleary & Sean Arthurs especially – showed great leadership, while David Mangan stood out for his team on the day.

Laune Rangers:- Jack Evans, Oisín Daly, Sean Arthurs, Evan Madden, Rory O’Connor, David Mangan, James Hurley, Daragh O’Connor (capt), Kevin Fitzpatrick, Gabriel Griffin (0-1), Dáire Cleary (1-3, 2f), Ronan O’Shea, Shane Doona (1-0), Eoin Clifford, Mark O’Connor (0-1). Subs:- Gearóid Hassett for O’Shea, Sean Cleary for Daly, Matthew Leslie for R O’Connor, Eoin Evans (1-0) for Griffin, Oisin Daly for D O’Connor (bc).