Minor‎ > ‎2016‎ > ‎2016 Minor Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Minor League Round 2:- Dingle vs Laune Rangers. 05/03/2016

posted 5 Mar 2016, 12:17 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 5 Mar 2016, 16:11 ]

Laune Rangers Minors defeated in Dingle

Second Half flurry from the home side proves the difference

Dingle 4-10, Laune Rangers 2-9

Laune Rangers travelled west to Dingle for the second game of the County Minor League season on Saturday.

The home side settled much better in the opening stages, and had stretched into a 3 point lead after 10 minutes. Rangers’ first score came from a Fiachra Clifford free in the 12th minute and was followed by another free two minutes later – this time from the right boot of Patrick Daly. Daragh O’Connor found the bottom left corner of the net for a fine goal to give Laune Rangers the lead by 1-2 to 0-3 after 17 minutes.

Three unanswered points from Dingle gave the hosts the lead once more, but Patrick Carey tied up the scores again with a well taken point. Dingle’s counter attack continued to put the defence under pressure, and in first half injury time, a foul just inside the square afforded Dingle a gilt-edged chance to take the lead into the break with a penalty. Laune Rangers goalkeeper Padraig Ahern was equal to the shot though, & saved the attempt to leave the scores level at the short whistle. The Half Time score:- Dingle 0-6, Laune Rangers 1-3.

Laune Rangers had the worst possible start to the second half. Two Dingle goals in the opening 8 minutes left the visitors with a mountain to climb, but a slice of luck went their way when a Daragh O’Connor shot was saved only for the rebound to strike the legs of an onrushing defender and go into the net for an own goal. Pointed frees from Patrick Daly and Fiachra Clifford were cancelled out by a Dingle free followed by one from play to see Dingle lead by 2-8 to 2-5 with a quarter to play. Points from Jesse McCormack and Daire Cleary reduced the gap to the minimum in the 50th minute, but it would be the next three minutes that would ultimately decide the game. Two Dingle goals – the first from a quickly taken free and the second from a defensive mistake – followed up by a couple of points by the hosts put significant daylight between the scores. Points were exchanged between the sides in the closing stages – Jamie Clifford and Patrick Daly pointing for Rangers – but the damage had been done and Dingle closed the game out. Full Time score: Dingle 4-10, Laune Rangers 2-9.

The difference in the scoreline certainly did no justice to Laune Rangers as scores were very close until the 50th minute. Conor Murphy & Patrick Carey were solid at half back, while Dáire Cleary was a constant thorn in the side of the Dingle defence as he was a key figure in many of the Rangers scores.

Laune Rangers: Padraig Ahern, Pierce Tyther, Cathal Doyle, Darragh O’Shea, Patrick Carey (0-1), Darragh O ‘Sullivan, Conor Murphy, John F O’Grady, Jamie Clifford (0-1), Jesse McCormack (0-1), Fiachra Clifford (0-2), Daragh O’Connor (1-0), Cian O’Shea, Patrick Daly (0-3), Daire Cleary (0-1). Subs: Darragh Moriarty, Eoin Evans, Oisin Daly.