Web Archive‎ > ‎2011‎ > ‎Senior - Match Reports 2011‎ > ‎

U-21's vs Glenbeigh/Glencar - M/K Champ Final

posted 25 Apr 2011, 15:00 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 25 Apr 2011, 15:01 by Laune Rangers ]

Mid-Kerry U-21 Championship Final – 25/4/11

Laune Rangers:    2-12

Glenbeigh/G’car: 2-13

Laune Rangers and Glenbeigh/Glencar travelled the short distance to Milltown today for the 2011 Mid-Kerry U-21 Championship Final. The sides couldn’t be separated at the final whistle but it was to be Glenbeigh/Glencar that emerged victorious by the narrowest of margins after extra time.

Glenbeigh/Glencar started the game the quicker, with a point from full forward, Gavan O’Grady, in the very first minute of play. Pa Joy responded for the Launesiders but his resulting shot was saved by the Glenbeigh/Glencar keeper, Rory O’Connor and pushed out for a 45′. O Grady was again on hand in the 6th minute after some good work from midfielder, Colin McGillicuddy, giving Glenbeigh/Glencar a two point advantage. Glenbeigh/Glencar continued to pressure Laune Rangers and further points from Liam Griffin and Colin McGillicuddy extended Glenbeigh/Glencar’s lead to 0-04 to 0-00 with 10 minutes played. Ryan Keane opened Laune Rangers account with a point in the 12th minute to close Glenbeigh/Glencar’s lead to three points. A pointed Gavan O’Grady free pushed their lead back out to four points in the 14th minute. Kieran Doona pointed for Laune Rangers from a free in the minutes that followed to leave the score 0-05 to 0-02 in Glenbeigh/Glencar’s favour mid-way through the half. Laune Rangers’ wide tally was increasing at this point but Doona made no mistake in the 23rd minute to leave two points between the sides. Glenbeigh/Glencar finished the half strong, with points from Gavan O’Grady and Kieran Breen before O’Grady went in for a goal in the 29th minute to leave the score 1-07 to 0-03 in Glenbeigh/Glencar’s favour at the short whistle.

Laune Rangers got the perfect start to the second half with a point from Kieran Doona in the opening minute. This was quickly followed by a goal when Rangers’ were awarded a penalty in the 2nd minute of the half. Ryan Keane stepped forward to take the kick and made no mistake in finding the back of the Glenbeigh/Glencar net. The goal left three points between the sides once more, 1-07 to 1-04 in Glenbeigh/Glencar’s favour. Glenbeigh/Glencar answered with a point of their own from the boot of Gavan O’Grady (free) in the 6th minute. Laune Rangers struck for their second goal of the evening in the 12th minute of the half. Keith Sheehan kicked a lovely ball into the waiting Pa Joy. Joy found the net, leaving just the narrowest of margins between the two teams. Joy slotted over a point in the minute that followed to level the game for the first time mid-way through the half. Another Gavan O’Grady effort gave Glenbeigh/Glencar a slight advantage but Ryan Keane was on hand to level the game once more with a point of his own in the 21st minute. Kieran Doona put the Launesiders one ahead in the 22nd minute. Rangers could have sealed victory in the 27th minute when Pa Joy was in on goal. The resulting shot however was sent wide. In the 32nd minute, Gavan O’Grady levelled the game once more. Play continued and when Kieran Courtney pointed for Glenbeigh/Glencar in the 33rd minute of play, it looked at though Glenbeigh/Glencar may have snatched the win. The referee left play continue however and a huge Peter Crowley point ensured that extra time was to be played! Score at the full-time whistle: Laune Rangers 2-08 – 1-11 Glenbeigh/Glencar.

It was Glenbeigh/Glencar who got the dream start to the first period of extra time. A Liam Griffin goal straight from the throw-in gave the Glenbeigh/Glencar side the advantage. Both sides swapped points in the minutes that followed with Kieran Doona pointing for Rangers and Jeremiah Hoare putting one over for Glenbeigh/Glencar. Laune Rangers continued to work hard and two more Kieran Doona points narrowed Glenbeigh/Glencar’s lead to just one point after the first period of extra time, 2-12 to 2-11 in Glenbeigh/Glencar’s favour.

Kieran Doona levelled the game in the 2nd minute of the second period of extra time. Both teams continued to battle hard to find a winning score but it was to be Glenbeigh/Glencar that found it. A Glenbeigh/Glencar free with 10 minutes played saw Gavan O’Grady make no mistake. Laune Rangers had a chance to equalise when they were awarded a free in the dying seconds but a tight angle ensured that it was Glenbeigh/Glencar who took the win. Final score in Milltown; Laune Rangers 2-12 – 2-13 Glenbeigh/Glencar.


Laune Rangers: Jason Browne, Michael O’Sullivan, Cormac Johnston, Liam Clifford, Ryan Lucey, Jeremy O’Callaghan, Morgan O’Sullivan, Marty Lynch, Kieran Doona, Shane O’Connor, Peter Crowley (captain), Pa Joy, Keith Sheehan, Jack O’Connor, Ryan Keane. SUBS: Liam McCarthy, Eoin O’Sullivan, Podge Murphy, Luke Bradley, Timothy Walsh, Gavin O’Shea, Finan Brosnan, Aaron Gamble, Mikey McKenna, Michael Sheehan, Colm O’Shea.

Glenbeigh/Glencar: Rory O’Connor, Sean Roche, Kieran Doyle, Mikey Griffin, Pa Kilkenny, Donagh McGillycuddy, Danny O’Sullivan, Jeremiah Hoare (captain), Colin McGillicuddy, Kieran Courtney, Jason McKenna, Liam Griffin, John Sugrue, Gavan O’Grady, Kieran Breen. SUBS: Michael Riordan, Conor Kelly, Alex Conboyne, Danny Griffin.