Web Archive‎ > ‎2011‎ > ‎Senior - Match Reports 2011‎ > ‎

Seniors vs St.Michael's/Foilmore - 7/5/11

posted 8 May 2011, 06:09 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 8 May 2011, 06:10 by Laune Rangers ]

Castleisland Mart Senior Club Championship – Round 2

Laune Rangers:   1-08
St.M’/Foilmore:   0-10

Laune Rangers had a one point advantage at the full-time whistle to win this Round 2 clash of the Senior Club Championship which saw the Launesiders play host to St. Michael’s/Foilmore. It was a nail-biting final few minutes which could have seen either side steal the victory but it was to be the men from the Laune who took the honours!
Laune Rangers opened the scoring with a point straight from the throw-in from corner-forward Colin O’Dwyer. St. Michael’s/Foilmore answered in the 5th minute of play with a point from Ronan O’Connor. Seamie Foley pointed for the homeside soon after before Kieran Crowley and St. Michael’s/Foilmore’s Ronan O’Connor(free) swapped points to let the score 0-03 to 0-02 in Laune Rangers favour after 10minutes. O’Connor was again on hand in the 19th minute of play to convert another free to level the game once more going into the final 10 minutes of the half. Some good work by Rangers wing back Jeremy O’Callaghan saw Mike Frank Russell give Laune Rangers a one-point advantage with 4minutes to play in the half. Two further St.Michael’s/Foilmore frees in the dying minutes of the half saw Eanna O’Connor and Ronan O’Connor make no mistake and give the visitors a one-point lead at the short whistle.
The home side got a dream start to the second half, when Mike Frank Russell goaled in the second minute. A shot from midfielder Peter Crowley saw the ball drop short into Roger Harty’s hands in the St.Michael’s/Foilmore goal. The ball was only half cleared and Laune Rangers regained possession, a good ball from Tom McGillycuddy to Mike Frank Russell, saw Russell make no mistake in finding the back of the St. Michael’s/Foilmore net giving Rangers a two point lead. Russell was on hand to extend Laune Rangers lead further with four converted frees to leave the score 1-07 to 0-06 in Laune Rangers favour with 10minutes of the second half played. St. Michael’s/Foilmore replied with a point from wing forward, Max Thiemann, to leave the goal between the teams. A long distance effort from the boot of D.J. Moran saw Rangers lead cut to just two points mid-way through the half. In the 20th minute, Laune Rangers’ Peter Crowley, left the goal between the sides once more at 1-08 to 0-08. Cian O’Connor pointed for the visitors in the 21st minute of play to narrow Rangers’ lead once more. A further St.Michael’s/Foilmore point from the boot of Ronan O’Connor(free) left the narrowest of margins between the sides with just over 5 minutes to play. Laune Rangers battled hard to hold their one point advantage while St.Michael’s/Foilmore pushed to find the score to level the game. St.Michael’s/Foilmore had this opportunity in the dying seconds of the game however the resulting shot was sent narrowly wide. Referee, Denis Sayers, blew the final whistle soon after to ensure Laune Rangers had done enough to seal the win. Final score in Killorglin: Laune Rangers: 1-08 – 0-10 St.Michael’s/Foilmore.


Laune Rangers: Tony Lyons, John Sheehan, Johnny Carey, Cormac Johnston, Kieran Crowley, Pa Sheehan, Jeremy O’Callaghan, Peter Crowley, Tom McGillycuddy, Pa Joy, Seamie Foley, Kieran Doona, Colin O’Dwyer, Mike Frank Russell, Shane O’Connor. SUBS USED: Keith Sheehan, Jack O’Connor, Jerry Coffey.

St.Michael’s/Foilmore: Roger Harty, Brian Smith, Mark Griffin, Adrian O’Connell, Colin Grandfield, Brian Galvin, Ciaran Grandfield, Sean O’Connor, D.J. Moran, Padraig King, Cian O’Connor, Max Thiemann, Eanna O’Connor, Ronan O’Connor, Sean O’Shea. SUBS USED: Mark O’Sullivan.