Web Archive‎ > ‎2011‎ > ‎Senior - Match Reports 2011‎ > ‎

Laune Rangers vs Milltown/Castlemaine - Mid-Kerry Final - 3/4/11

posted 4 Apr 2011, 12:10 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 4 Apr 2011, 12:11 by Laune Rangers ]

Mid-Kerry League Final - Sunday 3rd April 2011 - Milltown.

Laune Rangers:         1-14

Milltown/C'maine:     1-10

Milltown was the venue for the 2011 Mid-Kerry Final on Sunday. Laune Rangers emerged victorious after an entertaining game of football to secure their first League title since 2004.

Milltown opened the scoring with a point from a free from corner forward Ian Twiss inside the first minute. A huge Ciarán Kelliher kick soon after saw Milltown/Castlemaine extend their lead. Milltown added to their tally in the 6th minute when wing forward Cathal Moriarty was in on goal and made no mistake in finding the back of the Rangers net. Laune Rangers got their first score on the scoreboard in the 7th minute from a well-taken Mike Frank Russell point. Moriarty replied again for the homeside to extend Milltown’s lead once more. Both teams swapped points in the minutes that followed with Ciarán Doona and Mike Frank (free) pointing for the Launesiders and Ciarán Kelliher and Brendan Delaney the scorers on the Milltown team to let the game 1-05 to 0-03 in Milltown’s favour. Milltown extended their lead in the 21st minute when Ian Twiss pointed after being on the receiving end of a good pass. Rangers kept plugging away and finished the half very strong with points from Geoffrey Mahony, Mike Frank (2f) and Tom McGillycuddy closing Milltown’s lead to just two points at the short whistle. Laune Rangers were dealt a blow on the stroke of half-time when centre-back Pa Sheehan received a red card and the visitors were down to 14men. Half-time score: Laune Rangers 0-07 – 1-06 Milltown/Castlemaine.

Both teams got off to a slow start in the second half with the first action being the sending off of Milltown substitute Stephen Roche when he received a second yellow card. A Mike Frank Russell point in the 10th minute reduced Milltown’s lead to the narrowest of margins. Jerome Flynn and Pa Joy swapped points in the 11th and 14th minutes before Paul Carroll got his name on the scoresheet for the homeside in the 16th minute to give Milltown a two point advantage midway through the half. Two bad wides for the Killorglin side in the minutes that followed could have proved fatal but Mike Frank Russell made no mistake when he went through on the Milltown goal giving Laune Rangers the lead for the first time in the game making for a thrilling final 10 minutes. Pa Joy added another point for Rangers soon after to extend their lead. Johnny Carey received his second yellow of the game with 24 minutes on the clock leaving the Laune Rangers back line under pressure. Derek Twiss converted the resulting free to let the narrowest of margins between the teams once more. A huge Seamie Foley point in the closing minutes gave Laune Rangers the boost they needed to curb the growing Milltown attack. Another Derek Twiss pointed free was Milltown’s last score of the game. It was a nervous time for the Launesiders as the minutes ticked on but they kept possession and more importantly put some more scores on the scoreboard to secure the win. Points from Mike Frank Russell (2f) and Ciarán Doona left the game 1-14 to 1-10 in favour of Laune Rangers when referee James O’Sullivan blew the final whistle with more than 5minutes of extra time played.


Milltown/C’maine: Joe Daly, Mark Wrenn, Nigel Wrenn, Kevin McKenna, Marcus Mangan, Ciaran Kelliher, Jonathan O’Connor, Brendan Delaney, Gavin Wrenn, Cathal Moriarty, Shane Murphy, Paul Carroll, Jerome Flynn, Colm Kerins, Ian Twiss. SUBS: Derek Twiss, Stephen Roche.

 Laune Rangers: Tony Lyons, Cormac Johnston, Johnny Carey, Kieran Crowley, Shane McSweeney, Pa Sheehan(capt), Morgan O’Sullivan, Seamie Foley, Tom McGillycuddy, Ciaran Doona, Geoffrey Mahony, Pa Joy, Mike Frank Russell, Podge Murphy, Colin O’Dwyer. SUBS: Shane O’Connor, Jeremy O’Callaghan.