Web Archive‎ > ‎2011‎ > ‎Senior - Match Reports 2011‎ > ‎

Laune Rangers vs Kerins O'Rahilly's - 1st October 2011 - Club Championship

posted 4 Oct 2011, 02:10 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 4 Oct 2011, 02:13 by Laune Rangers ]
Written by Murt Murphy for Kerrygaa.ie
Rangers give O'Rahillys the Blues

Laune Rangers 0-16
Kerins O'Rahillys 1-12

Not for the first time Laune Rangers have proved to be Kerins O'Rahillys nemesis when they out battled the Strand Road side in the opening Castleisland Co-Op Mart Club Championship semi final played at the Fitzgerald Killarney on Saturday.
Both clubs have been struggling in the County League and in fact Laune Rangers are still in a spot of bother but now Rangers are at least in line for winning some silverware with their young side.

O'Rahillys manager Mark Fitzgerald must be wondering has he upset the Gods because no sooner does he gain a player, than he seems to lose one almost straight away.
Last year David Moran was the star as older brother Brian struggled, now David is out for the season, and Brian is filling in at midfield.
Then no sooner had Tommy Walsh returned from St Kilda's to help the Blues out, but his brother Barry John is ruled out for the rest of the season after an ankle operation.!
Still this game will stand to O'Rahillys as they prepare for this weekends clash with West Kerry but O'Rahillys will have to play much better and be far more clinical if they are not to go the same way as top club side Dingle did last Sunday to divisional side East Kerry.

There was very little between the sides in the opening half as two points apiece for O'Rahillys from Barry John Keane, Declan Quill and John O'Connor kept the Tralee club just ahead in a close first half, leading 0-6 to 0-5 after 24 minutes, before Quill's crisp finish, after a Tommy Walsh shot was only parried by Tony Lyons , and Declan Quill followed up to finish to the Rangers net.

O'Rahillys lost this game in the five minute period coming up to half time when they allowed Laune Rangers to rally and five unanswered points from including 0-3 from Mike Frank Russell, saw Laune Rangers lead 0-11 to 1-7 at half-time, when they might have retired two or three points down.

O'Rahillys resumed in determined fashion and looked as if they might prevail thanks to points from Tommy Walsh, Keane (0-2), Quill and Brian Moran - which saw them back in front , 1-12 to 0-13, but they just could not sustain their effort with s couple of costly wides and turnovers.
Dogged Rangers stuck to their task and late points from Seamie Foley, Pa Joy and Johnny Carey, edged Rangers back into a one-point lead, which they held onto and now face Rathmore in a surprise final pairing.

Laune Rangers:
MF Russell (4f) 0-5, P Joy 0-3, S Foley, S McSweeney 0-2 each, J Sheehan, T McGillycuddy, P Sheehan, J Carey 0-1 each
Kerins O'Rahillys: D Quill (2f) 1-3, BJ Keane 0-5f, J O'Connor 0-2, T Walsh, B Moran 0-1 each

Laune Rangers: T Lyons; C Johnston, J Carey, K Crowley; P Sheehan, P Crowley, S McSweeney; J Sheehan, M Foley; S O'Connor, K Doona, C O'Shea; MF Russell, S Foley, P Joy. Subs: T McGillycuddy for C O'Shea (2); R Keane for S O'Connor (46).

Kerins O'Rahillys: D Hennessy; D O'Sullivan, M O'Shea, S Brosnan; A Thompson, B O'Shea, R O'Callaghan; B Moran, M Quirke; T Walsh, BJ Keane, C O'Mahony; D Quill, G O'Grady, J O'Connor. Subs: J Nolan for A Thompson (30); D McLoughlin for C O'Mahony (57).

Referee: P O'Sullivan (Firies)