Web Archive‎ > ‎2011‎ > ‎

Bord Na nÓg - Match Reports 2011

U-16's vs Milltown/Castlemaine - Final 31/10/11

posted 1 Nov 2011, 03:05 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 1 Nov 2011, 04:01 by Laune Rangers ]

Mid-Kerry U-16 Championship Final by Michael O’Sullivan

Laune Rangers: 1-10

Milltown/Castlemaine: 0-06

Congratulations to Laune Rangers U16′s on their fine victory in the Mid-Kerry championship final over near neighbours Milltown/ Castlemaine.

This team showed tremendous promise all season, and were unlucky earlier in the year when losing to John Mitchells in the Central Division final. However, they finally reaped their just rewards, and were deserving winners in a tough but entertaining final played in O’Sullivan Park, Killorglin.

These two teams had met earlier in the year in the County League and on that particular occasion Milltown /Castlemaine won the game quite convincingly after a very strong second half performance. As a result, we knew this was going to be a very difficult game and the team would have to perform to their full potential today if they were to finish the season as mid-kerry champions.

The game itself was very entertaining and while Laune Rangers always held the lead there was very little between the two teams until the final minutes when Laune Rangers scored a goal and a point, to finish the game on a final scoreline of 1-10 to 0-6

Laune Rangers were first to score today with a well taken point by John O’ Shea in the 5th minute. They then had an opportunity for a goal shortly after this when Colm O’ Mahony kicked a well-placed ball into the hands of Eric Dunlea, who was denied a goal by an excellent save from the Milltown/Castlemaine goalkeeper, the resulting ’45 being kicked over for another fine point from John O’ Shea. In the 14th minute Eric Dunlea got his name on the score-sheet after scoring a point from a well-worked move by the Laune Rangers half-forwards. By this stage however, Milltown/Castlemaine were settling into the game and were unlucky with a couple of efforts, before eventually scoring their first point. John O’ Shea responded with a point from a free and then followed this up with another point from play. Milltown/Castlemaine added one more point to end the first half on a scoreline of 0-5 to 0-2, in favour of Laune Rangers.

Milltown/Castlemaine started the stronger of the two teams after the break and within 5 minutes brought the margin back to two points. At this stage Miltown/Castlemaine were really applying the pressure but thanks to a fine defensive performance and a couple of scoring efforts by Milltown/Castlemaine which were wide of the mark, Laune Rangers managed to weather the storm. Daniel Macbeth hit back with a point for Laune Rangers, and we then had an exchange of scores, with Miltown/Castlemaine scoring two more points and Laune Rangers responding with points from Wesley Delaney and John O’ Shea. With 5 minutes remaining John O’ Shea added another point to give us a 4 point lead, and then Shane Mangan sealed the game with a well-taken goal in the dying minutes to leave the final score Laune Rangers 1-10 – 0-06 Milltown/Castlemaine

This win was very much down to a team effort and the teamwork, commitment, and support shown by every member of the team were the driving factors behind this performance.

Gary Naughton and his full back line were very solid throughout the whole game. The half-back line was as usual very strong and managed to thwart many an attacking movement by Milltown/Castlemaine while also contributing to a number of attacking efforts by Laune Rangers. Our midfield fully controlled the centre of the park, and Shane Daly, who was outstanding throughout the game, gave an exhibition in the art of high fielding. All of our forwards were very effective, with 4 of our 6 forwards managing to register on the scoresheet, while also chasing back to assist in defending when they had to. Our captain John O’ Shea was particularly outstanding in the forwards, scoring 7 of our 10 points, including a 45 metre free and a number of long range points from play.

We knew all season that if this team played to their full potential they were capable of winning the Mid-Kerry championship and huge credit must be given to the management team for the team’s performance today and indeed throughout the whole season. William Byrne, John O’ Sullivan, Tim Brosnan, and Tom Crowley have been working with this team since February, meeting with the players twice every week for coaching sessions, and organising and managing the team during the numerous games they played throughout the year, and the effort and commitment they have shown is hugely appreciated by the players, parents, and Club.

Team: Gary Naughton, Seamus O’ Sullivan, Ciaran Twiss, Eoin O’ Sullivan, Fionn O’ Shea, John Tyther, Kevin O’ Sullivan Midfield: Shane Daly, Daniel Macbeth, John O’ Shea, Wesley Delaney, Colm O’ Mahony, Timothy Foley, Shane Mangan, Niall O’ Shea. Substitutes: Niall O’ Shea, Ethan Diggin, Daniel Sheehan, Jack Smith, Gavin Riordan, George Evans, Daniel Whittleton.

U-12's vs Dingle - 21/6/11

posted 26 Jun 2011, 14:14 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 26 Jun 2011, 14:15 by Laune Rangers ]

Our under 12 teams hosted Dingle on Tuesday 21st in the track. The A team had a good win after surviving a good comeback from Dingle in the second half. They led at half time on a scoreline of 3-8 to 2-6 but the boys from the west fought back to lead by 4 points with 10 mins remaining however we finished very strongly with goals from P. Carey and D. Cleary and points from C. O’Shea, E. O’Sullivan  and D. O’Connor to finish 5-12 to 3-12. The backs once again led by P. Aherne, D. O’Shea, O. Evans and L. Croke played well throughout and with F. Clifford,  D. Costello and D. O’Sullivan working very hard. This was a good victory.

Once again our B team continued to show a big improvement with a fine 2-14 to 4-4 win. Players to impress here were Keelin Houlihan, Conor Murphy, Ronan O’Shea and Kevin Fitzpatrick, all this team are making great progress and are showing signs of the big effort they are making in training.

U-12's vs Kerins O'Rahillys

posted 19 Jun 2011, 12:28 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 19 Jun 2011, 12:32 by Laune Rangers ]

The under 12 teams began their campaign in the Central Division League away to Kerins O'Rahillys on Tuesday evening last. Our A team lost on a scoreline of 5-13 to 3-11. Rahillys scored 2 very early goals and this continued to be the difference. Half-Time score Kerins O'Rahillys 3-8 to 1-8 Laune Rangers. Despite an early fightback in the second half, the Rahillys finished strongly. Best on the night were Daragh O'Connor and Liam Croke in defence and Patrick Carey in attack.The highlight of the evening was the performance of the B team who were denied a victory when a Rahillys scored a very late point. Cheered on loudly by the A Team whose game had finished early,the B-Team were unlucky not to snatch a late winner.

U-12 'A' vs Spa

posted 30 May 2011, 03:18 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 30 May 2011, 03:20 by Laune Rangers ]

Our Under 12 A were away to Spa last Sunday May 22nd .This was not one our best performances and our usually depenable backs had a poor night and the forwards were penalised on three occasions for square ball infringements. Despite all this we just trailed 2-6 to 1-6 at the break and when Daire Cleary hit a fine late goal, his fourth of the night, we just trailed by a point. However Spa went up the field to score a point with the last kick of the game to leave the final score line of 4-15 to 5-10 in favour of Spa.
7.D.CLEARY 4-2
8.C O' SHEA 0-3
9.P.CAREY 1-2
11.E O' SULLIVAN 0-1

U-16's vs John Mitchels - Final - 17/5/11

posted 18 May 2011, 13:55 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 18 May 2011, 13:59 by Laune Rangers ]

Central District – Division 2 – Final – 17/5/11

Laune Rangers: 2-09

John Mitchels:   6-04

An impressive crowd turned out in Ballymac on Tuesday evening last to show their support to both sides. With near perfect conditions, Laune Rangers and John Mitchels met for the second time in this competition. The first encounter finished in a draw and there was no doubt that it was going to be as entertaining this time around.

The winners on the night would be crowned the first ever Div. 2. Champions of the newly formed Central District, a title both sides were prepared to battle hard for.

Laune Rangers were first out of the blocks with a point from corner forward, John O’Shea in the 2nd minute. The boys from the Laune had a goal chance soon after when Eric Dunlea was running towards goal only to be denied by Aaron Jones in the John Mitchels goal. In the 8th minute, John Mitchels answered with a point of their own from the boot of Shane O’Connor to level the game at a point a piece. Laune Rangers re took the lead in the 10th minute with a point from Daniel McBeth with John O’Shea adding another soon after following some good work from Fionn O’Shea in the half-back line. John Mitchels Adam Leahy and Rangers Eric Dunlea swapped points in the minutes that followed. In the 18th minute of the half, John Mitchels Adam Leahy pointed from a free to close Laune Rangers lead to just a point. Mitchels struck for their first goal of the evening in the 19th minute when Jared O’Sullivan cleverly took a cut at a loose ball on the ground that found its way to the corner of the Laune Rangers net giving John Mitchels the lead for the first time in the game. John Mitchels continued to push forward and were again rewarded when Adam Leahy added a goal to his tally to let the score 2-03 to 0-04 in John Mitchels favour. At this stage Laune Rangers were rattled while John Mitchels confidence was growing. A further goal from Jared O’Sullivan in the 25th minute extended Mitchels lead once more. Laune Rangers showed their strength as they battled hard for the remaining minutes of the half. In the 26th minute, John O’Shea pointed from a free to narrow the gap slightly. In the 27th minute, John Mitchels were dealt a blow when midfielder, Shane O’Connor, received a red card and had to leave the field of play. Laune Rangers took advantage of this and in the dying minutes of the half struck for a goal of their own, from the boot of substitute, Eoin O’Sullivan. John Mitchels closed the scoring of the half with a pointed free from Adam Leahy to leave the score 3-04 to 1-05 in John Mitchels favour at the short whistle.

John Mitchels got a dream start to the second half when they were awarded a penalty in the 2nd minute. Jared O’Sullivan stepped up to take the kick and made no mistake in finding the back of the Laune Rangers net to leave the score 4-04 to 1-05 in the Tralee sides favour. Laune Rangers responded with two John O’Shea points from frees in the 5th and 7th minutes to leave John Mitchels with a two goal advantage. Laune Rangers were pushing hard in search of scores at this stage but despite having the majority of possession the Launesiders could not find a way to penetrate the John Mitchels backline. John Mitchels Frank O’Donnell and Akeem Molloy were both having a great game and were on hand to ensure that Laune Rangers were not going to find a way through. The Laune Rangers backline, lead by Ciaran Twiss, were also working hard on the other side of the field to ensure John Mitchels were not going to increase their lead any further. It was a further 12 minutes of play before we saw a score, coming from another pointed Laune Rangers free from John O’Shea. After a great catch, Laune Rangers full forward, Shane Mangan, saw his shot pushed over by Aaron Jones in the Mitchels goal to leave the score 4-04 to 1-09 with 10 minutes to play. Laune Rangers struck for their second goal of the evening in the 28th minute of play. Some great work from Ciaran Twiss and Wesley Delaney saw John O’Shea through. O’Shea calmly slotted the ball into the net leaving just the narrowest of margins between the sides with 2 minutes left on the clock. However, John Mitchels won the kick-out and went on the attack down the pitch. Man-of-the-match, Akeem Molloy, pounced for another goal to push John Mitchels’ lead back out to 4 points. John Mitchels got lucky in the final minute when they gathered up loose possession as Laune Rangers were on the attack. Akeem Molloy went towards the Rangers goal only to be met by Timothy Foley who was advancing. Both players collided and the ball broke nicely to full forward, Adam Leahy. Leahy passed off to his team mate Josh O’Reilly who kicked the ball into the empty Laune Rangers net sealing Laune Rangers fate. Final score in Ballymac: Laune Rangers: 2-09 – 6-04 John Mitchels.

After the game, the Central District Chairman, Liam O Rochain, presented the Colaiste Chorca Dhuibhne Teo Trophy to the winning captain. Well done to all involved for an entertaining game of football!


Laune Rangers: Timothy Foley, Seamus O’Sullivan, Ciaran Twiss, John Tyther, Fionn O’Shea, Kevin O’Sullivan, Neil O’Shea, Shane Daly, Daniel McBeth, Seamus Doyle, Wesley Delaney, Eric Dunlea, John O’Shea, Shane Mangan, Daniel Sheehan. SUBS: Colm O’Mahony, Ethan Diggin, Jonathan Coffey, Gearoid Joy, Gavin O’Riordan, Jack Smith, Eoin O’Sullivan.

John Mitchels: Aaron Jones, Cian Casey, Michael Donovan, Liam Gannon, Keith Madden, Frank O’Donnell, Cian Sheridan, Shane O’Connor, Akeem Molloy, Jonathan O’Halloran, Jared O’Sullivan, Gary Roche, Danny Connor, Adam Leahy, Josh O’Reilly. SUBS: Stephen Reidy, Eoin McGrath, David Ahern, Marcus Sugrue, Ger Dillon, Niall Birdsall, Conor O’Mahony, Stephen Eager

Referee: Ger Lynch (Ballymac)

U-12 'A' vs Austin Stacks

posted 18 May 2011, 12:46 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 18 May 2011, 12:47 by Laune Rangers ]

Our under 12 A team played Austin Stacks in Connolly Park on Sunday evening . This was always going to be a tough task as Stacks had been very impressive in the early rounds of the competition . The first half, playing against a very strong breeze, was close for the first 10 minutes but the home team raced into a 4-6 to 2-2 lead at the break. Our goals coming from Daire Cleary and Patrick Carey. In the early exchanges of the second half both teams exchanged points and left us trailing by 10 points with 10 minutes remaining, however from then on we took over with goals Eoin O’Sullivan, Cian O’Shea, Daire Cleary and Patrick Carey. Our backs were superb at this stage especially Liam Croke, Darragh O’Sullivan, Darragh O’Shea and Eoin Evans and with Fiachra Clifford working tirelessy and then scoring a fine point the game finished level on a scoreline of 6-5 to 4-11 .This was a fine performance and well done to the team and mentors .

1. Padraig Aherne
2. Eoin Evans
3. Darragh o Sullivan
4. Darragh o Shea
5. Eoin o Sullivan 1-0
6. Fiachra Clifford 0-1
7. Cian o Shea 1-1
8. Daire Cleary 2-1
9. Liam Croke
10.Patrick Carey 2-2
11.Jamie Brosnan
12.Oisin Daly

U-8's - Go Games

posted 18 May 2011, 12:35 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 18 May 2011, 12:40 by Laune Rangers ]

On Monday 9th May, our U-8 players got their first taste of competitive action for 2011 when they travelled to Milltown to partake in the Mid Kerry 'Go Games'. Over 40 Laune Rangers' turned up for action. This was an incredible turnout, as these players and their families only had one days notice, so a big 'Thank You' to everyone involved.

The 40 players were divided into 4 teams of 10 players. There were 4 other teams from Mid-Kerry taking place in the 'Go Games'; Milltown/Castlemaine, Cromane, Beaufort and Keel were our opposition on the night. Each of our teams got 4 games so it was total football for over 1.5 hours. The 4 teams gave 100% with some brilliant individual performances all over the field.

It was great to see all our players togged out in the blue and white of Laune Rangers.

The 'Go Games' will continue each Monday night until the end of May in Milltown.

U-12'A' vs Kerins O'Rahillys - Go Games - 8/5/11

posted 8 May 2011, 05:54 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 8 May 2011, 05:57 by Laune Rangers ]

We played host to Kerins O'Rahilly's on Sunday morning in the track, we started brightly and raced into a 1-8 to 4 pts lead with some good scores from Jamie Brosnan, Daire Cleary and Cian O'Shea, however Rahilly's responded strongly to leave the half time score 3-8 to 3-5 in our favour. The second half was close until a fine goal from Eoin o Sullivan and 2pts from Patrick Carey left the final score of 5-13 to 5-9. Once again goalkeeper Padraig Aherne had a fine game and received great support from Darragh  O'Shea, Eoin Evans, Darragh O'Sullivan in the backs. Liam Croke, Dylan Costello and Fiachra Clifford also impressed . 
1. Padraig Aherne
2. Eoin Evans
3. Dylan Costello 1-0
4. Darragh O Shea
5. Eoin o Sullivan 2-2
6. Fiachra Clifford 0-1
7. Dararagh o Sullivan 0-1
8. Cian o Shea 0-2
9. Daire Cleary 2-2
10. Patrick Carey 0-3
11. Jamie Brosnan 0-2
12. Liam Croke

U-12 (A) vs Listowel - 1/5/11

posted 5 May 2011, 10:23 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 5 May 2011, 10:27 by Laune Rangers ]

Our under 12 'A' Team were defeated by a much slicker Listowel Emmets side in the track on sunday evening . The first half was even enough and we trailed only 1-5 to 1-2 at half time however Listowel took over in the second half and despite the best efforts of Eoin O'Sullivan, Daragh O'Connor, Fiachra Clifford and Eoin Evans the final score line was 3-14 to 1-7
1. Padraig Aherne
2. Eoin Evans
3. Daragh O'Sullivan
4. Daragh O'Connor
5. Daragh O'Shea
6. Eoin O'Sullivan
7. Fiachra Clifford
8. Patrick Carey
9. Cian O'Shea
10. Daire Cleary
11. Padraig Purcell
12. Dylan Costello

U-16's vs Churchill - Semi-Final - 2/5/11

posted 5 May 2011, 10:10 by Laune Rangers   [ updated 5 May 2011, 10:13 by Laune Rangers ]

Semi-Final of Div.2. Central District League - Monday 2nd May - J.P. O'Sullivan Park.

Laune Rangers: 1-09
Churchill:         1-04

On a cold windy, but dry evening at O' Sullivan Park in Killorglin, Laune Rangers and Churchill met in the semi-final of the Central District Division 2 semi-final. This was a very entertaining game between two evenly balanced teams, and while Laune Rangers eventually emerged victorious by a margin of 5 points, there was very little to separate both teams until the last 15 minutes, when Laune Rangers finally managed to take control of the game, and notched up a number of points in quick succession.
Both teams had already met in the earlier stages of this competition and on that occasion Laune Rangers were comfortable winners. However, it was clear from the beginning of this game that Churchill were much improved from this last meeting. Churchill played with the wind in the first half and took advantage of this, with points from play by Fiachra Griffin and Michael O' Brien in the 8th and 12th minute. Churchill then followed this up with a fine goal by Fiachra Griffin in the 20th minute. Laune Rangers however by this stage were now coming more into the game, and were awarded a free in the 23rd minute which was pointed by Wesley Delaney. Shortly after this Laune Rangers were awarded a penalty, which Wesley Delaney successfully kicked to the back of the net. Churchill responded with another point, this time from full forward Ivan Parker, but this was followed up by two additional points by Laune Rangers (Wesley Delaney and Seamus Doyle). Churchill had an opportunity for another goal in the end of the first half but were denied by a fine save from Timothy Foley, and as a result both teams were on level terms at the end of the first half on a scoreline of 1-3 apiece.
Laune Rangers, who had finished the stronger of the two teams at the end of the first half, had the advantage of playing with the wind in the second half. Our full forwards were now much more involved in the game, with John O' Shea and Shane Mangan causing major problems for the Churchill full back line. In the 38th minute John O' Shea scored a point for Laune Rangers and followed this up with two additional points in quick succession. Churchill responded with a fine individual point by Jack McCarthy but at this stage Laune Rangers were now well in control with some fine passing movements between our midfield and half forward line. Shane Mangan, who had an outstanding second half, scored a point in the 50th minute and this was again followed up by two additional points from John O' Shea, to finish up on a final scoreline of 1-9 to 1-4.
Overall this was another fine performance by our u16 team. Timothy Foley made a number of excellent saves, and was very solid between the posts. Our full back line of Seamus O' Sullivan, Ciaran Twiss, and Gavin Riordan was very strong throughout the whole game, and successfully weathered the storm in the first 15 minutes when Churchill were at their strongest. All of our half-back line played well and were responsible for setting up a number of our attacking movements and scores. Daniel Macbeth and Shane Daly shared the exchanges evenly with Churchill in the first half and took control of centre field in the second half, taking advantage of the wind and kicking an excellent supply of ball into our full forward line. Our half forwards were very effective, chasing back to assist in defending when they had to, and linking up successfully with our full forward line, particularly in the second half. As already mentioned, John O' Shea (5 points) and Shane Mangan (1 point) were excellent in our full forward line,, and were ably assisted by Niall O' Shea, and Daniel Sheehan in the second half.
Team Line Out:
Goalkeeper: Timothy Foley
Full back line: Seamus O' Sullivan, Ciaran Twiss, Gavin Riordan
Half Back line: Fionn O' Shea, John Tyther, Kevin O' Sullivan
Midfield: Shane Daly, Daniel Macbeth
Half forwards: Wesley Delaney, Seamus Doyle, Eric Dunlea,
John O' Shea, Shane Mangan, Niall O' Shea

1-10 of 17